free website stats program Which Cam to install? | Harley Davidson Forums

Which Cam to install?

wombat457

First up I know this question will get both answers because, I suppose, it is a personal thing depending on how you ride and so forth - so here I go none the less .......

A few years ago I decided I was going to upgrade my bike by putting a "better cam" into it. At the time EVERYONE said easy - get an Andrews EV27 Grind Cam and you will be the happiest Softail rider around!!!! Well, I finally got around to starting the work and went out and bought the highly recommended EV27 ....

This is where the fun/confusion for me begins. Once I started getting the parts together I was listing them on another forum. When I mentioned the EV27 quite a few said - "I would have gone with the EV13". So here lies the problem - do I go with the 27 or the 13? (I have both - don't ask)

Other mods thus far have been a V&H Big Shots Staggered Exhaust and S&S Air Cleaner Kit, if they make any difference.

My riding style is simple - I ride one up up, on country roads - no city stuff, cruise around 60 - 65 and want a bit more get up and go, should I need it, around the 50 - 65 MPH range.

I have an EV13 in my '94 Road King. It has more pulling power then stock and provides good acceleration at the speeds you listed. I have no idea about the EV27. Never considered it.

My semi-understanding is the 13 is for heavier bikes like your Road King and Street Glides etc, while the 27 is (apparently) better suited to "smaller bikes" like my Softail and Sportsters. I think that is how it works anyway.

Back