free website stats program where's oil plug | Harley Davidson Forums

where's oil plug

I second what Glider said - the service manual for your specific bike is worth its weight in gold. I would NEVER simply pull a plug if I wasn't 100% sure what it was.

What the others said but to answer your question. There are two plugs at the lower front of the oil pan; the drain plug is the outer one. If that is the plug you removed, you probably didn't pull the dipstick and there is a vacuum in the oil tank that is shutting down oil flow. Get the service manual.

Check this out. it should help.
E75AD257232C42739E7F121D011A115D.jpg

Check this out. it should help.
E75AD257232C42739E7F121D011A115D.jpg

What you are showing as the crankcase drain is not the crankcase drain. The crankcase drain is in the bottom of the engine crankcase, not the oil pan. The boss indicated in the photo as the crank drain is the location for the oil temperature sending unit.

You better look at that picture a little closer. Note there are 2...countem...2 arrows pointing to 2 plugs. Both go to the crankcase. The one labled Mag. Plug is normally assumed to be the drain.

Last edited:
You better look at that picture a little closer. Note there are 2...countem...2 arrows pointing to 2 plugs. Both go to the crankcase. The one labled Mag. Plug is normally assumed to be the drain.

I am not confused and can count. I have drained a crankcase or two and those plugs in the photo are not in the crankcase; they are in the oil pan. Perhaps we are dealing with semantics; the oil pan is where the oil lives; the crankcase is where the crankshaft lives. :s

Last edited:
I am not confused and can count. I have drained a crankcase or two and those plugs in the photo are not in the crankcase; they are in the oil pan. Perhaps we are dealing with semantics; the oil pan is where the oil lives; the crankcase is where the crankshaft lives. :s

Agree with dolt on this, just poor wording IMO but let's keep it civil guys.:s

Back