free website stats program Where to put a power outlet? | Harley Davidson Forums

Where to put a power outlet?

ChiroRick

I'm looking to install a 12v power outlet on my 08 FXDC. On my other bikes, I've always installed one on the handlebars, but I want to conceal it a little better. I mainly want some place to plug in my GPS and phone charger for when I take long trips. It has to be accessible on the fly...no mounting under the seat or anything. Also, I DO NOT have saddlebags, and don't plan on using a saddlebag mounted power outlet like HD sells.
Suggestions?

Also, I want to get a really good one. I've only used cheap-o ones in the past. Recommendations?

I use a powerlet ( great product ) mounted above the horn. Might not be the best location for you but check their web site, multiple options.

I would be looking to try and mount a power outlet on to the front tank mount with a bracket that has the main part of the power socket under the frame near the neck it would be pretty well out of sight and the wiring would all be down the frame out of sight

Brian

I recently mounted a power outlet at the junction of my front down tubes and fork neck. It's secured to the frame with a sheet metal screw and a "p"clamp like you'd use to hold a pipe to a wall. Grounded to mount screw, and hot wire under tank to battery, with an inline 15a fuse. Total cost about $10. I do have a small elastic cord that pulls my accessory plug in to prevent vibration from causing intermittent contact. I can reach it when riding, but don't recommend it. It's almost invisible.

I have seen some mounted in the saddlebags. I think that would be nice if all you wanted to do was recharge while riding.

I have seen some mounted in the saddlebags. I think that would be nice if all you wanted to do was recharge while riding.

I appreciate the tip...but as I said in my original post, I don't have saddlebags, and do not plan on having anything that mounts in the saddlebags. I want to be able to mount my GPS/iPhone on my handlebars, and having the power outlet all the way back there would be pointless because no power cord would reach that far.

I just installed one for a gal, it's a round chrome cylinder that mounts on the engine guard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

I installed a Powerlet PKT-101-48. It’s a Cigarette litter that unplugs from the cable and when you need to you can plug a battery charger into it.

Back