free website stats program When to switch to synthetic? | Harley Davidson Forums

When to switch to synthetic?

My Ultra has 7000 miles on it now, at 10,000 Id like to switch the primary and crankcase and tranny to synthectic. My questions is that to many miles to switch or what? Ive read alot of people switched when it was brandnew, but I assume it wont hurt any thing to switch at 10,000 miles?

I didn't think so, but figured Id ask. Thanks Glider. I plan on Amsoil 20w50 in crankcase, not sure on primary, spectro 6 speed for tranns.

I didn't think so, but figured Id ask. Thanks Glider. I plan on Amsoil 20w50 in crankcase, not sure on primary, spectro 6 speed for tranns.

For the primary any of these will also do:
Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase oil
Redline V-Twin Primary Chaincase Oil (same as MTL 70W80 gear oil just repackaged)
Mobil1 V-Twin 20W50

For the naysayers about using synthetic in the primary: my Ultra has just over 16,000 miles on it now. Just completed a short 5000 mile ride riding 2-up while pulling a trailer. This included what could have passed for a 1+ mile slow race uphill on the "riding to the sun" road over Logan Pass. I NEVER experienced any clutch slippage.

Maybe when I rack up alot more miles I'll get some slippage. But by then I suspect I'll be due for a clutch anyway.

Last edited:
For the primary any of these will also do:
Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase oil
Redline V-Twin Primary Chaincase Oil (same as MTL 70W80 gear oil just repackaged)
Mobil1 V-Twin 20W50

For the naysayers about using synthetic in the primary: my Ultra has just over 16,000 miles on it now. Just completed a short 5000 mile ride riding 2-up while pulling a trailer. This included what could have passed for a 1+ mile slow race uphill on the "riding to the sun" road over Logan Pass. I NEVER experienced any clutch slippage.

oldhippie

I'm one of the "naysayers" that say not to use a synthetic in the primary and 16K is just broken in. When using a synthetic oil in the primary, the problem arises when some serious miles are put on the clutch pack. When a dino oil use would show a lot more useful miles, the synthetic will tend to slip.:s

oldhippie

I'm one of the "naysayers" that say not to use a synthetic in the primary and 16K is just broken in. When using a synthetic oil in the primary, the problem arises when some serious miles are put on the clutch pack. When a dino oil use would show a lot more useful miles, the synthetic will tend to slip.:s

Yeah, I know you are.:D I'll just keep doing what I'm doing 'til I prove you right.:lolrolling

Back