free website stats program When I turn the choke off the engines dies :( | Harley Davidson Forums

When I turn the choke off the engines dies :(

GROESSNER

I bought a 1995 dyna glide (80 cubic inch engine) about 6 months ago with 12k miles. I'm currently having an issue with the engine running rough but the main issue is when I turn the choke off the engine dies. I have had the carb checked & all is good there. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what the problem is?

Thanks in advance!
GR

The symptom that you describe would tend to indicate that there is not enough fuel being delivered for the amount of air and as Joe said check for an intake leak if there is no intake leak the problem is in the carb
As with any diagnosis we need as much information as possible in this case we may need to know what air cleaner and exhaust system is fitted carb jet sizes etc

Brian

Try this: Change the plugs, dump the gas and refill the tank with fresh gas. Also add some Sea Foam to the gas to clean the gas line, Carb or Injectors.

Good luck:bigsmiley12:

I bought a 1995 dyna glide (80 cubic inch engine) about 6 months ago with 12k miles. I'm currently having an issue with the engine running rough but the main issue is when I turn the choke off the engine dies. I have had the carb checked & all is good there. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what the problem is?

Thanks in advance!
GR

Can you keep it running if you open the throttle a little as you close off the choke? If so you may just need to adjust the idle screw.

Back