free website stats program When Downshifting To First | Harley Davidson Forums

When Downshifting To First

--Bonez--

My first post here and I have a question about downshifting to first when coming to a stop! Is it normal when downshifting to first when coming to a stop to actually either roll it forward or backward a little bit before it will pop back into first?

Rocking back and forth with clutch in helps with the dredded clunk when you put it in 1st gear but as jamesearl said I don't think many drop it in 1st gear when still moving.

I can down shift into 1st while coming to a stop, do it often, if the fluid is good / clean and clutch is adjusted properly you should be able to also.
Many times when coming to a stop light, it turns green and you have to go or the rig behind you will try to adjust your tail light.
I will add that you need to be direct and a bit heavy on your down shift with these tanks on wheels.

Your wording is confusing the answers given. When downshifting at any low speeds it should be easy to get to 1st from 2nd. Once stopped, and in Neutral, it should not be necessary to roll back/forth to engage 1st if the engine is running.

Welcome to the forum from Gulf Coast AL.
Good advice given by all above, I normally go to first when I'm coasting to a stop. As mentioned one should not have to roll forward and back to find first gear.

I can down shift into 1st while coming to a stop, do it often, if the fluid is good / clean and clutch is adjusted properly you should be able to also.
Many times when coming to a stop light, it turns green and you have to go or the rig behind you will try to adjust your tail light.
I will add that you need to be direct and a bit heavy on your down shift with these tanks on wheels.

Great answer joel! Direct and heavy is the key... I've figured out yesterday how to correctly downshift with this bike! Before I figured this out I would start to downshift before coming to a stop (as one normally does) and then stop at 2nd once completely stopped! While stopped that's when I would have trouble getting it into 1st from 2nd (the gear shifter would feel like a spring.) I would either have to slightly let off the clutch or roll it slightly forward or backward and then it goes into gear... What I did yesterday worked like a charm every time! Upon coming to a stop sign or light I began my downshift as usual while coming to a slow roll... I did not stop and then try and put it into 1st from second but kept rolling (slowly) just before completely stopping and it would go directly into 1st smoothly and like it should but dut direct and heavy! I hope my wording isn't as confusing like "Breeze3at" said lol

Sounds to me like it's an adjustment issue either with the clutch or even possibly the primary chain. Also, as mentioned maybe the primary fluid. Could be dirty, too thick, or even the clutch plates are clogged up. What clutch are you running? How many miles are on it? When was the fluid and chain tension checked, adjusted, or changed? I usually come to a stop downshifting from 2nd to neutral. But 1st isn't a problem for me. Sometimes if the traffic is barely moving I'll go to 1st but "revmatch" to do it. That's just habit every time I downshift though.

Back