free website stats program When do front forks need service | Harley Davidson Forums

When do front forks need service

ewiltgen

I have an 08 Ultra with 23k miles on it. A friend told me that they will handle better if when you service the forks you put the springs in the oppisite way. He says the way the coils are wound they work better inverted. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

I have an 08 Ultra with 23k miles on it. A friend told me that they will handle better if when you service the forks you put the springs in the oppisite way. He says the way the coils are wound they work better inverted. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

No. Go by the recommended service schedule in your Owner's Manual unless the fork is leaking past the dust seal. Follow the procedures in your HD Factory Service manual covering your model and year.

TQ

the theory with the forks springs works for light bikes, std they are fitted with the tighter coils down, this means more weight moving up and down. it wont change anything anything on your bike with so much weight in the front end already. a better move would be race tech gold valves and springs if you were to take it apart

No. Go by the recommended service schedule in your Owner's Manual unless the fork is leaking past the dust seal. Follow the procedures in your HD Factory Service manual covering your model and year.

TQ

I agree! Bad idea to not following the manual.

Doing the fork oil once a season IMO is a good practice. When you see the condition of the oil that comes out (especially if it is a factory fill) you may want to do the same thing.
Abrasives in the oil that come from wear can shorten the life of the seals in the slider assembly and I would rather change the oil than pull the forks to replace the seals.

20 minutes and you're done....

Easy Fork Oil Change On Baggers - Harley Davidson Community

Back