free website stats program Wheels and tires | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheels and tires

Classx

Oh, one more thing. The dealers can't help me with new wheels for my 1999 FLHTCUI. I am leaning towards going with American Wire Wheels, they are expensive, but nice. They are also tubless! I was thinking about going with a 21" X 3.5" on the front and a 18" X 3.5" on the rear. I am having trouble finding tires. If anyone has suggestions on wheels I am open to that as well.

Thanks.

Hi
I'm running a tubeless AWW 16" with a 1" axle in the front (2000-up). I went for the stock size as I got a good deal on them, plus I like the balance of two same sized wheels. I am very happy with those wheels and whenever I bother cleaning them they look great with the fat spokes. No issues with air leakage and the chrome seems solid.

I would be a bit sceptical to installing a 21" up front although I've never tried a tourer with such a set-up.
But, I have been riding both the FLSTC (130 x 16") and FXSTC (100? x 21"), and to me the Heritage feels much more solid in the curves and when braking hard.
Another thing worth considering 'while you're in there' is to install a 2002-up swingarm (with spherical bearings instead of those soft cleve blocks). I did it last winter and the difference is pronounced. I can still feel some flexing, but it's now got a tighter feel to it. Next step is test out some aluminium bushings to stiffen up the rubber/steel donuts.
YMMV, of course...

Are you turning bike into a show bike?? Going to spokes is problematic enough let alone a 21" front...

Are you turning bike into a show bike?? Going to spokes is problematic enough let alone a 21" front...

I have been running spokes for years and have never had a problem.

Even though I ride every day and am going to use this bike for long distance travel, every bike I own is a show bike (at least to me).

I have read a lot about guys who have gone to the 21" on front and loved it. However, if I can't get a tire for it I may just go with the 18" wheels front and rear.

Anytime I see those 21" fronts on a bagger, they usually have Avon Venoms.

I'm sure if you look hard enough, you'll find some. You can probably contact Avon directly and they can refer you to a local shop that has some in stock.

Looks nice in pictures.

I spoke with Avon, Bridgestone, Dunlop, and Michilen this week and no one has tires to fit. I just talked to Vee Rubber and they have a shipment of the sizes I need in wide white walls arriving in about eight weeks.

A friend installed a 21" on his 2001 Ultra. Looked cool but he just traded for a 2011 CVO Road Glide.

After trading, he admitted the 21" was a big mistake.
Handling was a chore at lower speeds.

I wouldn't install tubes on a wheel that didn't need a tube.
If you have a flat, it would be hard to patch while alongside the road.
Keep it simple.

Wheel Help

I have a 1999 Ultra and my friend has a 2007 Road King. We are both thinking of getting a 21" X 3.5" spoke front wheel. He will be using his stock rear spoke wheel while I am going to an 18" X 3.5" rear wheel. These will be made by American Wire Wheel and will be tubless.

What I need is opinions from people who have actually made such a change on a bagger. I am looking for real world pros and cons.

I already know we will have to drill and raise the back of the fender slightly, that there will be a slight change on slow handling, and the front will be raised about 1.5".

Thanks.

Back