free website stats program Wheel & Tire size question | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel & Tire size question

I would like to get new wheels for my 08' night train. The stock wheels are
21x 2.15 on the front and 17 x 6.00 on the rear. I would like to keep my stock tires since they only have 1,000 miles on them. I have looked at many after market wheels. I found many offer a 21x2.15 for the front, so no problem there. On the rear I found 17x6.25, which is a quarter inch wider than my stock rear wheel. Can I use the 17x6.25 on my bike with the stock rear tire? Not sure if the quarter inch is a big deal. Should I go up to an 18 inch rear and buy a new tire?

I would like to get new wheels for my 08' night train. The stock wheels are
21x 2.15 on the front and 17 x 6.00 on the rear. I would like to keep my stock tires since they only have 1,000 miles on them. I have looked at many after market wheels. I found many offer a 21x2.15 for the front, so no problem there. On the rear I found 17x6.25, which is a quarter inch wider than my stock rear wheel. Can I use the 17x6.25 on my bike with the stock rear tire? Not sure if the quarter inch is a big deal. Should I go up to an 18 inch rear and buy a new tire?

You need to get out to your bike and measure your clearances. Is the hub dimension on the new rear rim the same width as the current rim? That way you can use your current mounting setup. And at the edge of the rim, is there any point that would limit the use of the 6.25" width rim? I kinda doubt it, but you should look for any point that there would be interference. As I said above, I kinda doubt there is any reason that you can not use the new rim, but check it out and measure everything. Lastly, will the new rim take the same size bearings as your current rim? That way you can buy the same part number as your current manual indicates.

Again, make sure that you will not need new mounting stuff (spacers).

TQ

If you notice in the link that NEWHD74FAN provided above, the 17x6.25 rim size is listed as the custom size rim in the table for your Night Train. So it should be a fit for you. I would still eyeball the current setup and maybe give the Dealership a gingle to make sure you can use your existing installation jewelry with just some new bearings (the new rim may even come with bearings installed?).

TQ

Back