free website stats program Wheel Bearings Worn Out | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel Bearings Worn Out

mc2

Contributor
Changed front wheel bearings on my 98 Fat Boy after 30,000 miles.
Changed front wheel bearings on my 08 Fat Boy after 16,500 miles.
Know a guy who changed front wheel bearing on an 08 V Rod with low miles.
Anybody else having this problem? And why is this problem?
Thanks

Changed front wheel bearings on my 08 Fat Boy after 16,500 miles.
And why is this problem?
Thanks

I would think in these types of applications most bearing failures are due to water getting past the seal. Once that happens it's over. There are several types & styles of seals. I would have closely inspected the 2 sets of failed bearings & bearing seals to try and understand what happened. Harley does not make their own bearings. What Vendor name or logo was on the bearings you removed? The answer starts with inspecting the failed parts.

had the front wheel right bearing bad on mine at 8k when i changed tires was water mine was still packed with grease and metal flakes

I'm curious, did you discover bearings bad at tire replacement,(Micing them out) or did they start making noise ?

I'm curious, did you discover bearings bad at tire replacement,(Micing them out) or did they start making noise ?

mine i was just spinning them at tire replacement and could feel the grittyness and hear it

That's a good reason to check everything once you got it down, or up in the air periodically... Thanks

I haven't pulled the bearings out yet, but heard when the left bearing finally gave out. It gave me that terrible deflating feeling. Kind of like the crank roller bearings on my pan situation!! Lucky again! about 20 miles from home on the return of a 1,500 mile trip down the Ho Chi Minh Trail. Home safe. New bearings being shipped. Will inspect old and post findings.
Thanks

A lot of the problem may be our tendancy to wash our rides way to often, especially wheels and tires with fairly high pressure running water, which when aimed into the wheel axle area will drive abrasive brake dust and road grime past the rubber wheel seals...another reason to watch where you direct splashing water when washing your bike. And soap by design has wetting agents which disolve grease and acts as a carrier to dilute the grease if it gets past the seals. Sometimes it is better to handwash your bike rather than "take'in the hose to 'er while slapping tons of detergent on...

I had a slightly bent front rim. I did nothing about it. The vibrations caused the bearings to disintigrate at 60+ mph on a parkway. Wheel shifted to the left and engaged front brake. I now have a chopper front end, a limp, and lots of screws in by body. CHANGE THEM.

Deadsled,
Wow! Glad to know you are still walking among us.
I have been soooo lucky. Once had the long bolt in the springer of a chopped knuckle bust loose, just as I set the kickstand down. It was the first time I ever saw stars when it busted me in the teeth. Would have been a lot worse if I had been cranking the throttle when it let go!
It pays to inspect the bike thoroughly and often when you're ridding long or hard.

Back