free website stats program wheel bearings on FLHX | Harley Davidson Forums

wheel bearings on FLHX

It looks like I need to replace the rear wheel bearings on my 09 FLHX. They were replaced under warranty with about 17k miles and now @ 32k they are sounding bad.
My question is should I replace the two sprocket bearings while I have things tore down?
I went into Motion Industries (bearing supplier) and they can match the original junk bearings from HD, we'll see if I can get better life out of these US made bearings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just asking here ---- but you had them replaced @ 17 k miles first time and now with your odo at 32k ( only 15 k on new bearings) isnt there something else that might be a concern or is it just me not knowing why the bearings are going out so soon???

They are going out because they are garbage cheap foreign bearings that can't take much water. It seems that it starts up after riding in rain, or maybe even washing too vigorously with a hose. I'd be more concerned that I had a problem but this isn't a random thing, two other friends (both on touring bikes) have had bearing issues.

In my opinion, you should look into the sealed bearings for this. I found two sets on Ebay and the price was better than Harley. USA made bearings with direct replacement. Just my $.02

I guess I should feel fortunate.........just rolled over 40,000 on my 2007 and I still have original bearings on both axles. But......I never use water to clean the bike, yes I do ride in the rain. Can't go 40,000 miles without catching some rain. The only thing that gets a garden hose to it is rinsing off the engine after a good s100 cleaning once a year.

Does your FLHX have ABS braking system on it? If so you need the encoded bearings. Part # 9252 at about 30.00 dollars US.

My 2012 street glide with 11k feels and sounds funny making left or right sweeping turns. I'm worrying it could be the wheel bearing going bad. But I've got 3 times the miles on my fatty and never had any wheel bearing issues.

If you have the stock tire on the rear it gets feathers on edges and that is what you are hearing

Does your FLHX have ABS braking system on it? If so you need the encoded bearings. Part # 9252 at about 30.00 dollars US.

My bike has ABS braking system and has alittle over 14k miles. I hope not to replace them! I notice that it will be easier to work on non-ABS bikes than ABS bikes. Is that true? :newsmile042:

Hdfatboy, wouldnt worry to much. Your tires are feather'd. My sg has 12 k on and its been howling awhile now. Had bearings checked and mechanic shower me feather'd tires. Jack your bike up and take a peek its real obvious if their feather'd.

Back