free website stats program Wheel Bearings: Frt, Rr, Wgt. | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel Bearings: Frt, Rr, Wgt.

mc2

Contributor
I've gone through four sets of wheel bearings in the '08 Fat Boy (front and rear). At 80 k miles, I'm going to install again. Dennis Kirk has Pivot Works for the Rear only ($21.10/set and they weight 0.95 lbs), and Drag Specialty bearings that fit front and rear ($11.95/set and weight 0.6 lbs).

To my recollection, the front & rear bearings are the same size, and wonder why Pivot Works lists only for rear use?
The weight difference brings in another wonder??

I've attached a photo of the bearing extractor a machinist in Nha Trang, Vietnam, made for me.
A long bolt with assorted washers works great for an insertion tool; bearing size washers on insertion side, with oversized washers on the anchor side.

Thanks

Attachments

• Bearing Extractor.JPG
    Bearing Extractor.JPG
    657.1 KB · Views: 31
I am sure that the wheels are being properly torqued which can cause early bearing failure. Are you running the factory O.E. wheels?

I have found the SKF or Naich 6205 series to offer quality bearings at a reasonable price. The climate in VN is not conducive to wheel bearing long life and I assume that you power wash the bike to keep it clean. Have you been using open or sealed bearings? Even with sealed bearings like the 6205-2RS bearing that is double sealed, the seals are non-contact will easily let water go past itself. The LLU seal is a contact seal and the LLB seal is a non contact seal. Within the NTN line, the LL means a seal on both sides of the bearing and the U designates a contact seal. Within NTN, U seals will be orange and a B seal will be black. You might consider the SKF-62052NKE (25mmx52mmx15mm) for your bike; might last longer than what you have been using.;)

I'm running O.E. wheels and a stickler for proper torque.
You're right about VN not conducive to long life on wheel bearings. There's silt everywhere. I was careful with the pressure washers, but I expect the kid I taught to wash my bike wasn't quite so. So I attribute bearing failure to that and the silt; no big deal. I could buy SKF bearings in Nha Trang for $5 each. (I should have bought a case before I left. LOL) I'll look for an SKF supplier around here.
Thanks
The photo is of what the trails & silt did to my rear fork bearings after 41,000 miles. No wonder my bottom was sore!

Attachments

• Bearings.JPG
    Bearings.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 22
I'm running O.E. wheels and a stickler for proper torque.
You're right about VN not conducive to long life on wheel bearings. There's silt everywhere. I was careful with the pressure washers, but I expect the kid I taught to wash my bike wasn't quite so. So I attribute bearing failure to that and the silt; no big deal. I could buy SKF bearings in Nha Trang for $5 each. (I should have bought a case before I left. LOL) I'll look for an SKF supplier around here.
Thanks
The photo is of what the trails & silt did to my rear fork bearings after 41,000 miles. No wonder my bottom was sore!
Try Gopher Bearing in St Paul
http://www.bdi-usa.com/Locations/MN-St-Paul.aspx

Back