free website stats program Wheel bearing shims | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel bearing shims

tukeiam

I have a 1999 Road King Classic. I bought it used in 2008. The tires were changed before I bought it. I am currently in the process of repacking the wheel bearings and have found the shims installed on the opposite side from what the HD manual shows for the rear wheel (found on the pulley side instead of rotor side). Does it make any difference?

I just looked thru my '92 service manual and the diagram shows the shims on the disc side, but nowhere in the text does it specify that they must be on the disc side. I think it's best that the shims are not on the torque side (pulley). I'd just put them back on the disc side and check end play.

Only reference i can find is in my 92 softail manual and i knew that i had read this but it took a wee while to find

Disc rear wheel spacer pack MUST be assembled on the Sprocket side. If the spacer pack is not assembled on the sprocket side there will be no end play and the wheel bearings will seize during vehicle operation,resulting in personal injury

It may be that in the past someone has read this statement and applied it to all rear wheels they have done to ensure they are always safe although i do not think it matters which side of other types of wheels that the spacer pack is fitted

i did the wheels on my softail this time last year and read through all my books throughly and i have a disc wheel on the rear but perhaps all the rear wheels on all my bikes will end up with the spacer pack on the sprocket side

Brian

I can't see any reason the shims should matter from one side to the other either but guess I'll stick with the manual and put them back in on the rotor (disc) side.

Back