free website stats program Wheel bearing question. | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel bearing question.

Lobo1

I was riding yesterday evening and I went into a curve fairly hot. I had to lean my scooter (2005 FLHTCI) a little more than usual. I noticed a slight vibration in the handlebars and it immediately went away as soon as I brought it upright just a little. I tried several times to duplicate it in other curves and it only does if I lean it way more than normally do.
Should I look at replacing my front wheel bearings or is this normal? Front tire is a Dunlop. (Harley Davidson on sidewalk but is made by Dunlop). About 75% tread left. I am switching to Michelin Commander 2s when the time comes.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Ride Safe

Check Dunlop for cupping.This will be noticeable on corners.Time to get the Michelin's.Much nicer ,grippier and pliable tire.

Check Dunlop for cupping.This will be noticeable on corners.Time to get the Michelin's.Much nicer ,grippier and pliable tire.

Yeah I put Michelins on my 1988 FLHS right before I bought this scooter and I was immediately shocked at how much better it rode and handled. I may just go ahead and get a set put on now and have bearings checked / replaced to boot.

Changing the bearings with the new tire makes sense to me. On 1 of my previous bikes I would get a hum type of a sound when in leaning turns. It was the bearings.
On my long gone StreetGlide it was a slight vibration and a zing sound. Caused by the rear tire having a chopped outer tread wear pattern.

Could have been the road surface seeing you couldn't duplicate it again.

Hadn't thought about that possibility. And that road was an old country road. Pavement was in decent shape but the asphalt had gravel exposed on the surface in long stretches. Wear and tear I guess. (Not loose gravel but the gravel in the asphalt mixture)

The road surface can create vibration and noise so may just be that however best to raise the front wheel grab the wheel at top and bottom and try and twist the wheel across the axel if any movement is felt wheel bearing needs replaced
Also spin wheel very light touch with a finger tip on one of the forks may feel light vibration replace bearing
A lot of this sort of stuff is around experience and feel once you have felt a wheel with a bad bearing you will know what it feels like

Brian

Back