free website stats program Wheel Alignment made Simple | Harley Davidson Forums

Wheel Alignment made Simple

I've seen this before and it is an excellent method, even better than straight edges such as bulbs etc.

Since the straight edges will not show the rear being skewed as clearly. With straight edges you are corrected in that only by viewing the perceived straightness of the front tire pointing ahead.

The string line method will adhere to both rear points ONLY if the rear is not skewed.

This is good, similar way we used to do 4 wheel alignments on cars in the old days, I got pretty good at sighting down the rear tires and checking with the string when done Good Find:s

Interesting & a Great way to do it. But I do have a question. The author says:

"A Note on Wheel Offset:
Modern Harley-Davidsons have the rear wheel offset somewhere between 8 and 13mm."

Wow is that really true? From the FACTORY the offset on the wheels can be up to 1/2"? That is a crazy amount of offset. Almost hard to believe for me. I wonder which models they are doing that to.

If memory serves me it's the softails that have the most (3/8 to 1/2) offset. Seems I even heard once they have the fenders offset to match.

Also heard it was more on the earlier models than the 08's and up. And this was all OEM. Now some custom rigs will also incur some offset built into the hub.

If memory serves me it's the softails that have the most (3/8 to 1/2) offset. Seems I even heard once they have the fenders offset to match.

Also heard it was more on the earlier models than the 08's and up. And this was all OEM. Now some custom rigs will also incur some offset built into the hub.

Big inch custom bike builders go with a huge offset on the rear go figure:s

Back