free website stats program Whats wrong with Syn3 in the primary? | Harley Davidson Forums

Whats wrong with Syn3 in the primary?

oiler

I have a 09 Streetglide and was wondering about the best primary oil for it. I have read many posts and it seems that everyone leans toward the H.D. Formula Plus oil. I am going to switch to Mobil 1 in the engine and Spectro Platinum 6 Speed in the transmission which I totally agree, but what is wrong with the Syn3 in the primary? If it is not a true synthetic and clutch slippage is not an issue, wouldn’t it be better for the chain than the Formula Plus?

I have a 09 Streetglide and was wondering about the best primary oil for it. I have read many posts and it seems that everyone leans toward the H.D. Formula Plus oil. I am going to switch to Mobil 1 in the engine and Spectro Platinum 6 Speed in the transmission which I totally agree, but what is wrong with the Syn3 in the primary? If it is not a true synthetic and clutch slippage is not an issue, wouldn’t it be better for the chain than the Formula Plus?

IMHO you can get better fit-for-purpose products for the chaincase. You will see recommendations for Formula + here on this site. I personally use Spectro's primary chaincase product. In any case, I would suggest that you replace the chaincase oil when you replace the engine oil. The stuff gets a lot in it from the clutch.

TQ

Last edited:
For openers, it's made for HD by Hugo Chavez, second off it's a "semi synthetic" :D and will do nothing beneficial for the clutch discs. Thirdly it costs about $9 a quart which is overkill for use in the primary.
If there was any benefit to using it in the primary like the life span of the chain, then it would help, but most any oil (non energy conserving) which has friction modifiers in it will work well in there at a fraction of the cost of the syn3.

When you say it will do nothing benifcial for the clutch discs, do you mean the Formula Plus oil will? If both oils perform the same on the discs and the Syn3 is better for the chain, for a few dollars more I will use S3.

What I meant above is "synthetic oil" or in this case "semi synthetic SYN 3 which is not a full synthetic" is not a good choice for the discs.
Very poor choice for the trans also.

Back