free website stats program What's up with this? | Harley Davidson Forums

What's up with this?

BlinkerBlu

Today I was riding along in 6th gear at about 70 miles an hour. I wanted to speed up a little, so I opened up the Elect. throttle and the bike started cutting out. I backed off and went into 5th gear and opened it up. Same thing. Well, I stopped at my daughters for awhile then got back on the RG and hit the road. Checked the problem out again and low and behold it was fine, didn't do it.

My question is: Is this one of the problems with the elect. throttle or is there something else going on? I could ask my dealer first but I trust u guys first then I'll go to them.

Thanks Glider, I did read that thread and will be talking to HD about it. Also where do I go to check on HD recalls?

Man, I was planning on a long ride on Thursday and now another 2008 Touring HD shows fuel system gremlins. Like Fisher says, I really don't want to be 200 miles from home when this happens and get stranded.

Is there ANY type of test you can perform at home to see if this is imminent on your bike or do you just have to wait for it to happen? Mine hasn't so much as burped one time but you never know.

Don't know Dr. D, but tomorrow I will be going by the Harley and see what they want to do. They better do something quick due to a ride I have coming up Saturday. Going up into the Seirras (SP)

Put 5000 miles on my 08 last month while I was on R&R and no probs what so ever. Elec throttle has been flawless. Taking a 3000 mile trip in august on it and have no qualms about it at all. hehe been riding harleys for 43 years so if it takes a dump on me won't be the first time but have no worries at all about going. Breaking down at some point in your riding life is just part of the equation if your looking for 100% reliability you aint gonna find it at harley. I still love em and ride em and take what happens along the way as part of the experience...

Simple test.Only effective when it's really bad though.Open the gas cap.Listen at filler.Turn on ignition.As the pump primes you'll hear fuel spraying all over the inside of the tank.If it's very bad you'll see it.Harley can't do anything for you until it's broken at this point.

Simple test.Only effective when it's really bad though.Open the gas cap.Listen at filler.Turn on ignition.As the pump primes you'll hear fuel spraying all over the inside of the tank.If it's very bad you'll see it.Harley can't do anything for you until it's broken at this point.

Excellent tip, thanks Fisher!

Put 5000 miles on my 08 last month while I was on R&R and no probs what so ever. Elec throttle has been flawless. Taking a 3000 mile trip in august on it and have no qualms about it at all. hehe been riding harleys for 43 years so if it takes a dump on me won't be the first time but have no worries at all about going. Breaking down at some point in your riding life is just part of the equation if your looking for 100% reliability you aint gonna find it at harley. I still love em and ride em and take what happens along the way as part of the experience...

How true! And 100% reliability is absolutely impossible - motorcycles, cars, airplanes, washing machines, you name it.

Back