free website stats program What would you consider high miles??? | Harley Davidson Forums

What would you consider high miles???

Bobcat316

Have looked at several Ultra's and the milage is all over the map. Test rode a UC with 351 miles they wanted $18K at a dealer. See several that are in the 20K to 30 K range prices reasonable (in a car that would be low).

Opinions on Ultra Classic milage please

Thanks
Bob

A year would be nice to know. 351 0n a 09 is quite different than on a 95 for instance. If it is an 07 as in your nick, it is low IMO. Anything under 10K a year is low mileage IMO.

Have looked at several Ultra's and the milage is all over the map. Test rode a UC with 351 miles they wanted $18K at a dealer. See several that are in the 20K to 30 K range prices reasonable (in a car that would be low).

Opinions on Ultra Classic milage please

Thanks
Bob

I bought my '03 in 10/05 with 43.5kmiles on it. I do my own work, so the miles really did not worry me.

But I did not know about the spring-loaded tensioner issue when I bought the bike. If you get a pre-'07, get the cam tensioners checked pretty soon after buying the bike to make sure they do not nuke on ya. My outboard one did!! Have done the roller chain conversion now, so we are pretty close to World Peace!!

TQ

Should have given the year

It was a 2007 UC with 351 miles. I did not like the color combination. It was dark blue and bright white. To much for me and I decided to keep looking.
I appreciate the info
Thanks
Bob

Bought my '99 Ultra with about 68,000 miles on it. Like TQ, I too didn't know about the tensioner problem. Since I also do my own work, the switch to the roller chain and hydraulic tensioners, and the other work I did to the bike set me back about $1500. The bike was really clean when I bought it, and I don't regret my decision one bit. Interestingly enough, for the first 48,000 miles of it's life, the bike was serviced reguarly at a HD dealership.

Re: Should have given the year

It was a 2007 UC with 351 miles. I did not like the color combination. It was dark blue and bright white. To much for me and I decided to keep looking.
I appreciate the info
Thanks
Bob
Try and get the service records too, oil changes are very important on air cooled motors.

I have to say that I would be more concerned about how something was cared for rather than how many miles it shows. I live in the snow belt, upstate NY, and bought a 2008 FXSTC in June of 08.

Today I checked and I have just under 21,700 miles. I ride like I believe most of us do, cruise around 62-65 pass the cars hitting 80 but not for long. I've kept her clean and cared for. Switched to the recommended fluids and intervals, added a TFI fueler and Rush slip ons. This machine is the finest one I've ever owned ( 6th one ) and I wouldn't hesitate to say it runs better now than ever.

As far as worring about the number of miles, I would suggest a close inspection and a test ride to determine quality. If it looks beat up, or sounds bad chances are it is, but as in my case..She looks great because I take care of her and sounds good for the same reason. There is no doubt that she's used, but that's because ...That is exactly what I bought it for, TO RIDE.
" Roll, roll me away. Won't you roll me away tonight, tomorrow, the next day, and the next day, etc... "

In Ft. Walton Bch, FL the Harley dealer has a white 2006 Ultra with 49K on it. I know the history on this bike and every scheduled servicing was done by the dealership including all oil changes. This bike looks real shiny and is beautiful. I kind of figure that a bike like this has proven its reliability. The bugs and recalls have all been done. The owner has more money than sense. He won a Sportster in 2004 from Harley's credit card give away. Then traded it for the 2006 and traded that for a 2010 Heritage because his riding buddy has one. Fossil

Just bought an 04 UC with a big bore kit and 22k on the clock. Very clean and seemed well cared for. Flew up to Boise ID and drove it 400 miles home for my test drive.

X2 on checking the cam chain. I started hearing a noise and getting a pinging 3 weeks after I bought it. Had it inspected and the tensioners were close to gone. Having the new upgraded hydraulic tensioner and hd oil pump installed as I type. Hope to have it back home by the weekend. It was tough not riding over the Labor Day weekend. Good luck.

Year and mileage is a question of balance when matched with riding style. Certainly a touring bike is easier to put on the miles, typically "blessed" by the manufacturer by having more technology put into them to improve durability. Certainly sportbikes are not lacking in technology, but the state of tune in someways invites abuse by the riding style...shorter trips and high stress riding and you have to play statistics. Most accidents happen close to home and the amount of use certainly comes into play...as well as maintenance...but that is one of the reasons for coming here isn't it? I would imagine 8 to 10K per year would be "typical"...

Back