free website stats program What type of oil | Harley Davidson Forums

What type of oil

Hi,
I am an owner of a 1980 FLT and was wondering what type of oil I should run in the bike. Summer driving between 50 to 80 degrees. Also is there really any difference between motorcycle oil and automobile oil? thanks,

Pretty much everything I hear says 20-50 - Amsoil as well as Mobil1 20-50 synthetic is good motor oil. Also any V-Twin specific synthetic 20-50 (Bel Ray, H-D Syn3, Royal Purple Max Cycle) should also work well.
But to answer your question, yes, there is a difference between car and bike oil. American Iron had a detailed article on this a couple years back...essentially different oils have different additives, depending on the application. Some high end synthetics are very similar to bike specific oil. I'm not an expert, so I'll try to find that issue and then provide a bit more info.

I agree with 01dyna. Mobil1 20-50 synthetic is good motor oil too. Also any V-Twin specific synthetic 20-50 (Bel Ray, H-D Syn3, Royal Purple Max Cycle) should also work well.
But to answer your question, yes, there is a difference between car and bike oil. American Iron had a detailed article on this a couple years back...essentially different oils have different additives, depending on the application. Some high end synthetics are very similar to bike specific oil. I'm not an expert, so I'll try to find that issue and then provide a bit more info.

Leave out the HD Syn 3 in that post, it's not a synthetic oil like the others regardless of how it's marketed.

Oil Groups Explained - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks for all the info.!

But, can I now run a synthetic oil after this bike was operated on regular oil for about 40,000 miles?

Thanks for all the info.!

But, can I now run a synthetic oil after this bike was operated on regular oil for about 40,000 miles?

Yes. But as a general statement, the high-end synthetics do a better job of cleaning. So depending on how well your bike has been maintained, cleaning out deposits and sludge MAY show you where there are some seals, orings and gaskets that need to be replaced!!

Also, you do need to use the appropriate weight oil in the bike as specified in the Owner's Manual. Not sure if the '80s were using multi-weight grades. From the self help section that Glider posted, here is some info on shovels:

Jakaroo's Shovelhead Alley (Engine Specs)

So depending on what part of the world you are in and what your temps are, you probably want a straight 50wt or 60wt engine oil.

TQ

Last edited:
Ive only got about 1500 miles on the bike and the oil was changed at 1200 last fall. Do I need fresh oil for the summer season,.... and if so is Mobil 1 like what you get at Walmart what you guys are talking or do they make a Mobil 1 specifically for bikes?

Mobil 1 V Twin is what you are looking for and with only 300 miles on the present oil change, you don't need to change it again.

M1VTlg.jpg

Yes. But as a general statement, the high-end synthetics do a better job of cleaning. So depending on how well your bike has been maintained, cleaning out deposits and sludge MAY show you where there are some seals, orings and gaskets that need to be replaced!!

Also, you do need to use the appropriate weight oil in the bike as specified in the Owner's Manual. Not sure if the '80s were using multi-weight grades. From the self help section that Glider posted, here is some info on shovels:

Jakaroo's Shovelhead Alley (Engine Specs)

So depending on what part of the world you are in and what your temps are, you probably want a straight 50wt or 60wt engine oil.

TQ

Thanks TQ!

Back