free website stats program What size is needed? | Harley Davidson Forums

What size is needed?

mrglide

Anyone know of a summarized list that has which tool and size is needed for the various screws/bolts/etc on a bike? For example, torx 27 for A, torx 40 for B, etc.

If not, any brave and knowledgeable soul like to compile one? :bigsmiley16:

Since your Harley is a blend of parts both domestic and foreign hardware...best to have both SAE and Metric tools at your disposal. In the self help and search tabs near the top of this webpage to help you find list of recommendations from your fellow riders...enjoy your search. :57:

There are also great tools to be had from Sears-Kmart-DoIt/Craftsman and most tool suppliers SnapOn, MAC, etc. Just take your time and buy complete sets, nothing more frustrating than finding tools that skip the size you need. Make sure you include a good hand impact tool, torque wrench and SERVICE MANUAL which are the most important tools when you need 'em! :D

Anyone know of a summarized list that has which tool and size is needed for the various screws/bolts/etc on a bike? For example, torx 27 for A, torx 40 for B, etc.

If not, any brave and knowledgeable soul like to compile one? :bigsmiley16:

The list would be very long and require many tools that would be found in most starter sets like the craftsman tools from sears for openers. From there you would have to add allen wrenches and torx wrenches etc.

I appreciate the replies, but I wasn't asking about tool sets or where to buy them.

I thought there might be simple list, even if not 100% complete, of which specific tool/size fits specific screws or bolts. It might be helpful on the road to know, for example, that a specific torx size fits a particular head that becomes loose without using the wrong size and stripping the head. Again, just an example.

No one should expect to take apart the engine or change cams without the service manual, but that wasn't my intent for this list or thread.

No list that I know of but like stated above your last reply, a set of tools would be a good starting point. To try to make a list of what wrench fits what bolt and it's location and then take into consideration other tools like #2 and #3 phillips and their usage and where the fastener is located, different size flat tip screwdrivers, deep sockets, shallow sockets, six point/twelve point sockets sockets, metric sockets, open and box end wrenches, throw in the torx for controls and brake callipers, allens if they aren't torx heads etc etc would take an eternity to compile a list.

Do you have any idea how many different bolts, screws, torx and allens are on a bike?

Why not start one yourself and post it here?

No list that I know of but like stated above your last reply, a set of tools would be a good starting point. To try to make a list of what wrench fits what bolt and it's location and then take into consideration other tools like #2 and #3 phillips and their usage and where the fastener is located, different size flat tip screwdrivers, deep sockets, shallow sockets, six point/twelve point sockets sockets, metric sockets, open and box end wrenches, throw in the torx for controls and brake callipers, allens if they aren't torx heads etc etc would take an eternity to compile a list.

Do you have any idea how many different bolts, screws, torx and allens are on a bike?

Why not start one yourself and post it here?

Glider,

I knew that was coming. <g> I was just hoping someone already did it.

Dont forget zip ties and electrical tape always good to carry

Harley also has tool kits specific I think they are made by Snap On

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike didn't have any tools with it when I bought it so I started a tool pouch with extra old ones I have accumulated over the years. I add anything to it whenever I work on my bike that I don't already have in it. I try to do all my repairs and maintenance from that pouch.

I found this from a thread Glider made while doing a Search; I copied and pasted it. I asume no liablity! LOL!!!

"Torx bit sets usually do not include the #27 torx bits in the set.
Usually any good/big hardware store will carry them seperately. Sears does not include them in the sets either. You'll need mostly #25 and #27 for the service items.
Other sizes come in the kits that you'll need. Don't mistake the #27 tork head and use a #25 in it. It will fit a bit loose and you will strip the bolt head.
They are very easy for some to mistake.
I buy the #27 in my local true value store as just the bit itself and use a dab of epoxy to set them in a spare socket so I am ready to go.
I have one in a 1/4 inch drive socket and one in a 3/8 drive socket and a few spares."
Torx Bits And Servicing - Harley Davidson Community

Hope this helps a little.

Back