free website stats program What is this plug ? | Harley Davidson Forums

What is this plug ?

KSAN

Well being the first time I've attempted to change the oil myself on my 2001 Fatboy 1450cc I mistook a plug directly underneath the engine cylinders and inline with the cam access cover as the oil drain plug. seems as if maybe a half quart of oil drained out and I realized my mistake and replaced the plug and located the correct plug on the frame. My long winded question is what was I draining ? it wasn't the trans fluid or primary, I know where those drains are. it looks like engine oil, is this a secondary oil plug for some reason ? your help would be much appreciated.
ps. my manual doesn't show this.

I don't know why the plug is there unless a threaded casting hole. It was motor oil that drained out. It is like sump oil in the engine case, normally always there. Most people never pull that plug out for fear of stripping out the hole when replacing. I have pulled the plug before splitting cases to save a big mess.
tourbox

well then no harm no foul then I guess, I was reading and I think some refer to it as a crank case drain. I appreciate your reply

well then no harm no foul then I guess, I was reading and I think some refer to it as a crank case drain. I appreciate your reply

CARE MUST be taken when OUT n IN... Too tight, you May Crack the engine case...

No fooling...
Many suggest to only remove that plug Carefully when Measuring the oil that is there after a run... Checking for Sumping... Only about (measured) 6/8 oz MAX should be in there. Taken when the plug First comes out then when it stops. (then Measure that amount) Main Flow (not dripping for a 1/2 hour or more) IF over the 6/8 ozs. I'd say you have some problem with Sumping. Oil toooooo much Oil in the motor needs to be Oil Pumped out and IF oil pump not working correctly or faulty, and leaving more than 8 oz there, Problems...

Reduced Power, Over heating, A mess at the carb/injector air cleaner. and Foaming inside the heads so badly, it May need the head covers to come apart to really clean and re-fit proper filters in the heads.

Oil Sumping will Cause the Crank to Wallow in oil and Foam up and mess up the Air Breathing from the heads to the air cleaner carb or injectors...Flooding that area with Dripping out oil and onto the passengers leg and side of bike...

So not a plug to play with or Drain Just Because...

(1/2 asleep typing this and it may show):small3d023:

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks, and yep only a few ounces came out, that's when I realized I had made a lil boo boo. lol appreciate it.

Thanks, and yep only a few ounces came out, that's when I realized I had made a lil boo boo. lol appreciate it.

LOL..... I remember someone who wanted to pull "That" plug to check how much oil stayed in their sump... Took out the hex one back by the oil drain plug....

YEP they Dumped their Fresh oil...:rofl

I laughed but they :small3d023:

signed....BUBBIE

Back