free website stats program What is the difference? | Harley Davidson Forums

What is the difference?

tlyoungb

Besides Syn3 from Citco. Has anyone had a official chemical study done on the oil? Other than sold by Harley Davidson, what make Mobile 1 or any other oil better than Syn3 full synthetic Oil.

I can understand why nobody likes the Syn3 Synthetic oil, but is it any less better oil? :newsmile011:

Besides Syn3 from Citco. Has anyone had a official chemical study done on the oil? Other than sold by Harley Davidson, what make Mobile 1 or any other oil better than Syn3 full synthetic Oil.

I can understand why nobody likes the Syn3 Synthetic oil, but is it any less better oil? :newsmile011:

On a scale of PAO's the sin 3 is a 3,,, mobil 1 is a 4,,, and My choice Redline is a 5..

5 being the highest (best)

signed....BUBBIE

On a scale of PAO's the sin 3 is a 3,,, mobil 1 is a 4,,, and My choice Redline is a 5..

5 being the highest (best)

signed....BUBBIE

Hi Bubbie,

How and what website did you get this info from? I would like to look at it if possible.

Thanks.

Hi....I think the best oil to run is the one you like....I think sin 3 is a blend....I run mobil 1 but thats just because its eazy to get and my bike runs cooler than it did with sen 3..

Hey Bubbie, You missed on your Roman Numerals....
PAO's are Group IV. Redline is a Group V; Ester base my friend.

DIOLUBE SPECIALITY ESTERS

Then you can read amsoil below

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Amsoil is PAO

Redline is Ester

Not 100% true. (but often repeated on BITOG) And you can see this misinformation has lead the OP down the wrong path.

Amsoil has PAO's, Redline has PAO's. Amsoil has esters and Redline has esters. Depending on which oil we are talking about Redline probably does use more esters in their motor oils, but some/most are 30-40%+ PAO. Amsoil is probably higher at 50%+ PAO.

Believe what you may
signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if Syn3 is cracked or not.
Yes most of the ester folks use some PAO's; Redlines nitro oils are all ester(gotta tear down a top fuel motor every run, so no one cares about long seal life).
I have no idea what Amsoil is/does with regard to formulations.
Redline motor oil (non-racing versions) are 70-80% Esters, I don't remember exactly what Dave(Redline tech) said, it's been too long.

I honestly am a little disapointed in the MOCO for not doing sort of engine sequencing, or other SAE and API wear testing. After 100-some years they still recommend: CE CF CF-4 CG-4. DIESEL OILS!

The listed oil designations histories are below, or go to the API website.
CE = licensed in 1988, for diesel engines with turbochargers. Now obsolete.
CF = Off-road diesel engines with high sulfer fuel, licensed 1994
CF-4 = 1990 license, replaces CE. License gone in 08, obsolete listing.
CG-4 = 1995 license. Low emission, high speed diesel engines, particularly for increased soot levels.

These engines(ones the oils were designed for) are nothing like our engines.

I personally like Ester bases for our prayer-cooled engines. I deal with Dyson Analysis for my UOA's.

Don't know if Syn3 is cracked or not.
Yes most of the ester folks use some PAO's; Redlines nitro oils are all ester(gotta tear down a top fuel motor every run, so no one cares about long seal life).
I have no idea what Amsoil is/does with regard to formulations.
Redline motor oil (non-racing versions) are 70-80% Esters, I don't remember exactly what Dave(Redline tech) said, it's been too long.

I honestly am a little disapointed in the MOCO for not doing sort of engine sequencing, or other SAE and API wear testing. After 100-some years they still recommend: CE CF CF-4 CG-4. DIESEL OILS!

The listed oil designations histories are below, or go to the API website.
CE = licensed in 1988, for diesel engines with turbochargers. Now obsolete.
CF = Off-road diesel engines with high sulfer fuel, licensed 1994
CF-4 = 1990 license, replaces CE. License gone in 08, obsolete listing.
CG-4 = 1995 license. Low emission, high speed diesel engines, particularly for increased soot levels.

These engines(ones the oils were designed for) are nothing like our engines.

I personally like Ester bases for our prayer-cooled engines. I deal with Dyson Analysis for my UOA's.

Sounds like you have a lot of Knowledge about oils,,,, They are a RELIGION here you know.. Feel free to jump in and Help Out... Thanks..

I ONLY use Redline oils in my engines and other lubricated parts..... If it is mine and it runs it has REDLINE.

signed....BUBBIE

Back