free website stats program what is the best 883 to 1200 conversion without spending too much $ | Harley Davidson Forums

what is the best 883 to 1200 conversion without spending too much $

Hoople

Account Removed
I have no clue when it comes to conversions like this but hopping up 300 CC's I think would be a monster of a job requiring a new crank and case machine work. But I bet the results would be a heck of a lift in power.

i heard that u recycle everything.i guess all u need is the kit.u can even reuse ur heads with dished out pistons that even wiegh the same for balancing.and keep the stock heads or get different pistons then have a shop bore out ur pistons.

i just got a 98 883.it has the screamin eagle pipes cleaner with kn and has been jetted but i would like more power.it really isn't that bad now but just alittle more would do me fine.thanx in advance.i am an auto tech so i think maybe i might be able to do the conversion myself.that will help cutting out the labor charge.

The short answer is stick with the HD conversion, for simplicity and "tried and true" performance, with the barrels and parts all fitted and ready to go "off the shelf." Of course we have a certain moderator 'cross the pond in England that has a real good perspective on the conversion, as it is done quite a bit there as the delta between 883 and 1200 is far greater with imported HD models and competition/performance riding is how should I say "very traditional and almost expected." :D

Last edited:
thanku guys i will check that out.i am new to harleys so just learning about all u can do with them.it will take me awhile to get my feet wet i guess....

ONE LATE NIGHT TALK WITH JERRY BRANCH OF BRANCH HEADS....

one late evening i made a phone call to a calif. shop...

THINKING to leave MY return number ,,, was quite surprised that someone answered the phone..

JERRY BRANCH was the answer..

I told him what I had started to do with my 1995 883..wanting LOW end power and the best way to get it...

I had already BOT wiseco 1200 cc pistons at 10.5/1 ratio

HE SAID I couldn't use HIS heads with those pistons
but since I was on a LOW budget and doing MY own work:::::

HE suggested
" " " " " " " "
BUY new HD 1200 barrels using the wiseco pistons at 10.5/1

use the stock 883 heads (give them a lap job)

modify the carb with proper jets (.180 )??? and use a older model ?1200 sport needle..

Use a good pair of slip-ons (scrm'n eagle)
slap it together..... break it in @ 500 miles

"THEN go find a POLE and climb it"--- call me back tell me what you think

I then asked HIM what cams to use??

HE SHOUTED his reply "there you guys go again ,,, wanting LOW-END power and torque ,,, then caming it all away...

I followed his advice (other than the pole)

REALLY HAD A HOT 1200 CC BIKE...

BOY DID I surprise(my self included) a few of the guys I rode with...
(in front of)

THANKS to JERRY BRANCH for answering his phone one late night YEARS AGO.

signed....BUBBIE

alittle more power lol.yeh iknow that sounds funny.i just want it to be longer with more girth lol.do what u feel like and feel what u do like........

thanku guys i will check that out.i am new to harleys so just learning about all u can do with them.it will take me awhile to get my feet wet i guess....

NHRS...sounds like Toys-R-US for us big HD kids...what you get is certainly worth the price of admission and they stand behind their product. Not a bad deal for just a teeny-wheeny bit of power "if that is all you want..." :lolrolling

Back