free website stats program What Have They Done To My Bike, Ma? | Harley Davidson Forums

What Have They Done To My Bike, Ma?

Rocket J.

I mean, no more kitty litter tub under it to catch the drip, no more having to wire brush the fouling off my rear plug every 500 miles on a roadtrip, no more cooking my batteries from an over-active charging system, no more & etc.

I'm on my 5th Harley which ranged from an ancient 45 flathead, '66 kickstart Sportster, '72 Nighttrain, '80s Sportster. I now ride an '05 Electra Glide Classic and the culture shock to it was tremendous. The bike is downright ummmmm sophisticated yet it's still got a bit of an edge to it. It's my favorite of all my past bike (including the Triumphs and even a rice propelled bike or too). OK, yeaaaaah EPA has caused grief with their lean running mandate and I'm scared to death with that new fangled security fob deal, but I'm dealing with that. the bike's got "better" pipes a "better AC" and a download to make it run better. I just don't even get the security fob near my bike. The good old fork lock is all I'll ever need for security. Well, and I've never even had the radio/stereo on since I bought it because I'd rather just always listen to the sweet music from the pipes.

The EGC is a most excellent bike. It has many improvements over my past bikes and I'm learning to deal with most of the newer features while deeply appreciating not having to deal with the more raw features of the past.

Sometimes the "good old day's" don't always look that good when ya look back on it!...:laugh

As a general contractor when someone says they dont build them (houses) like they used to my reply is thank God! so I can relate.

Last edited:
All that kicking to get them started, and then finally having to get help to push start it, I don't miss that at all. :)

My '66 Green XLCH was a bear to start, even after I had the magneto replaced with electronic ignition. My knee was always sore from either hyper extending it on the kick or from it kicking back on me about 3/4 of the way down on the kick..Still, I kinda miss that old raw-bones monster. Well, I don't miss the weak drum brakes that stopped all that torque about as effectively as dragging my feet would have.

some things can 'change' for the better lol the fear of change makes us like things to stay the same
WAP.gif

Welcome to the family and Merry Christmas.

If you have problems, just post your issues. There is lots of good help here.

Since purchasing my first Harley when I was 13 in 1966, I have bought, sold, and owned about 100 Harleys. Many of them were just purchased and moved, with nothing done to them. However, a ton of them were personal bikes that I kept for many years, often having six to twelve at a time that I traded time on.

These ranged from an old knucklehead, to a couple of flatheads, to many panheads, to a load of shovelheads, to a bunch of evos. Now, a couple of blockheads.

One thing every old Harley had in common was this...you never knew what was going to go wrong, or when.

2 bb

Back