free website stats program what grade of gas? | Harley Davidson Forums

what grade of gas?

High test to use your words. There are times out in the toolies that you can not even get mid range fuel so I also carry some boost with me for those occasions.

91 octane usually from Chevron or Unocal or Shell for my 09 Road Glide. Actually tried some 89 octane for a few tanks and got fewer mpg than when using 91 octane. My 05 Goldwing runs best on 87 octane.

Well, your manual says use 91 RO, but the reality is, use what works best for you through "old fashioned" trial and error and consistantly from the same place. Found that my Sporty will run "Medium" 89 RO no problem...even two up. Can't say the same for my Katana, which would run 89 RO but if two up, heavy throttle or hot days only 91 RO will run right.

If your bike is sensitive to low octane gas it will ping readily under heavy throttle, hot days or riding two up. If that is the case stick with highest octane, no point in pushing a bad position. Also, if in different areas you normally don't travel, do "not" take a chance and go with 91 or highest available and along well traveled (popular) stations, with no tanker unloading while you are there to minimize chance picking up contaminated gas...JMHO.

91 Amoco or 91 in a major brand if I can't find that.
Living in the foothills of N. Ga. mountains I also avoid
gas stations that sit at the bottom of a hill or down in a hole.
Had a couple of bad experiences with water in the gas because of that.

Back