free website stats program what anti virus pgm. is recommended? | Harley Davidson Forums

what anti virus pgm. is recommended?

Breeze3at

Experienced Member
In the past I have used Bit Defender (satisfied with it), Security Shield 2009
(slow). I just renewed to Security Shield 2010 on Sat. It was taking my laptop 4 minutes to load IE Explorer8, and up to 3 minutes to switch from thread to thread on the forum. I uninstalled the pgm. and am back to fast page loads. My laptop is a puny 18G hardrive, 750meg memory, with a 980mhz processor running XP home. I have more than 60% hard drive empty, and usually 500K mem. avail. What antivirus programs are forum members using that work well and don't tie up resources? I may be retired, but I'm still impatient!

Norton internet security works for me
as an engineer working in a small computer shop i see a lot of viruses and malware and usually use a combination of norton internet security and malwarebytes to remove the nasties
the programmes that dont seem to be too effective are mcafee avast and avg free as ive seen a lot of infetions on computers with these solutions installed

Brian

Safe and secure (Synacor 3.0) which is provided with my Armstrong cable service. Works well have not had any problems. Have had similar problems with McAfee anti-virus that I loaded on computer. Seemed as if built in security on computer saw it as a virus. After removing, download was back up to speed. So I just use what cable company offers.

Breeze, try the AVG anti virus. You can go to their website and download it. It is 100% free and works excellently!

Breezy - let me paste a snippet of a thread regarding anti-virus programs and their impact on a machines performance. I personally use a product called Avira, which is free, consistently rates at the top of the stack for virus and malware detection and is pretty low overhead on system resources. Avira you can get for free here:

Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE Antivirus

And IE8 is an absolute pig, and 7 is not much better. I use Mozilla's Firefox as my browser. They are quick to patch the browser if a security flaw is detected and if runs circles around IE. Some people like Firefox - some don't. But with the limited resources you're running on your laptop, I'd give it a try. Install it right along side with IE and see for yourself. You can get that here:

Mozilla | Firefox web browser Thunderbird email client

And here's the snippet:

AV suite implicated in horrible boot time

User wrote in with some useful information related to my July 22 item, "Horrible four-minute boot resists easy fixes."

"I installed Trend Micro Internet Security 2010 on some of my clients' computers.

"I noticed significant performance and Web-browsing sluggishness (especially with Vista). Once TMIS 2010 was removed, the performance greatly increased.

"This unpleasant discovery makes me want to get rid of what I once thought was good software.

"Personally I'd recommend ESET's NOD32, as I have been both using it and reselling licenses for it since 2005 and have never had any significant compatibility or performance issues. Their software is written entirely in assembly language instead of the bloated C++ used for Norton and McAfee."

===========

Thanks. AV tools and security suites are notorious system hogs, and feature-bloat is common.

For example, Trend Micro lists 13 major features and subsystems in its security suite, McAfee lists 14, and Symantec lists 33!

Many of these features duplicate abilities already built into Windows and the major browsers. For example, Internet Explorer and Firefox have built-in link-checkers, pop-up-blockers, parental controls, and more. Windows itself (especially Win7) has a capable firewall built in.

So the large security suites are including features you probably already have, and all of these redundant features consume memory and CPU time.

In contrast, the small, more nimble security packages offer just the essentials. For example, ESET lists just six major features for NOD32.

And my current favorite security tool, Microsoft's free Security Essentials, lists just two major functions: antivirus and anti-malware protection. When used with Windows' built-in firewalls and a fully current browser (say, IE8 or Firefox 3.6.x), you end up with essentially the same capabilities provided by the huge commercial security suites.

What's even better, it's all free!

On any system that's suffering a slowdown, it's well worth the time and trouble to at least temporarily swap out a large commercial security suite with a small and lithe AV tool.

You just may recover some of the performance you thought your system had lost forever!

Breeze,

I have used AVG free for the past few years with no problems. Checks in and out going email, works well with IE, updates automatically every day, and scans your hard drive every day. You choose the times to update and scan.

I use Norton, as I was required to use it by the job I had. It was free so why not use it. Tried AVG and some other free ones and got a virus in the old puter.

I agree that Microsoft Security Essentials is a good AV and anti-malware program. The others that offer feature after feature are just over-kill for what your browser and the Windows firewall is already capable of doing for free. IMO

Close your ears to the Marketing hype that the other security suite vendors will preach. :s

You don't need a big suite of products that they claim you must pay for.

I agree with you Tank and bigger slows the puter down:s

Back