free website stats program What a difference a bit of air does | Harley Davidson Forums

What a difference a bit of air does

Rebyl

Banned
First big day away with a few mates that were pushing hard on Jap bikes. I was really struggling with the wallow in the corners...something very foreign to me, comming from Valkyries that go round corners like on rails...anyway got home and put on my fancy air pump for the rear suspension and begger me it was at about 18 lbs....cranked it up to 30 lbs and went for a hoon...what a difference....What setting do other big blokes ride at...just interested...I am 6'2" and weigh 290lbs. Not many long straight roads here in NZ:D

I ride mine at 30#'s also and your right mine handles great. But then again I'm a fat dude 5'9 - 230lbs :s

Keep in mind here that different years have different running pressures so they are not all the same.

I'm 290# on an 08 Ultra @ 35 , I beleive that is max. It is a good but stiff ride, my bike handles extremely well 13,000 miles since March

I'm at twenty and have no problems. Hauling around 810 lbs of bike empty is a big difference from all other cruisers and touring bikes.

First big day away with a few mates that were pushing hard on Jap bikes. I was really struggling with the wallow in the corners...something very foreign to me, comming from Valkyries that go round corners like on rails...anyway got home and put on my fancy air pump for the rear suspension and begger me it was at about 18 lbs....cranked it up to 30 lbs and went for a hoon...what a difference....What setting do other big blokes ride at...just interested...I am 6'2" and weigh 290lbs. Not many long straight roads here in NZ:D

I am 6'1" and about 375. I recently put the lowering brackets on my RK, and had never checked the pressure. Rode 300 miles, kept bottoming out, stopped at a Harley shop and had someone check it for me, it was at zero. I bought one of those fancy pumps right then. My manual and saddlebags advise that I can run 35# but the Harley tech said I shouldn't put more than 25# or I might risk rupturing the seals. I can't believe the difference, it was like riding a completely different bike!:D

Checked mine today--16 lbs. Haven't have any "rubber frame moments" since putting a new tire on the rear. Before the new tire I experienced the wobble more and more as the old tire wore. I thought about the trans-to-frame stabilizer but now I don't know if I need one.

Wow, I have been riding my 08 ultra with 20 psi in rear shocks and with two up, I hated the ride as it was always bottoming out. I added more air to get 30 psi and now my ride is great. I am glad I came across this thread. Now, if they could just come out with the Road Zeppelin air seat for the 08's, my ride would be just about complete .

Before my recent 5 day ride in to Michigan I added some air to the rear shocks. I couldn't believe how much better it was. I went from 15 psi to 25 psi. With my wife and I and all the luggage the extra air made it ride a lot better. I also increased the tire pressure on front from 38 to 40 and the back from 40 to 42.

I'm 6' 3" - 320 lbs. and I ride solo at 25 psi in the shocks. When the wife and I go out I increase the shocks to 35 psi and add 5 psi to the rear tire.

07 Road King Classic

Back