free website stats program Wet sumping while changing pistons | Harley Davidson Forums

Wet sumping while changing pistons

meldrew

Just converting my 02 Evo 883 Sportster to 1200cc and noticed when fitting pistons the crankcase was full of oil, drained down from tank over a four week period the cylinders have been off. :(

Its never done this before even though it has stood for several weeks between use, could stripping the top end cause this to happen? and is there a crankcase drain plug I can empty the oil from to prevent oil and smoke blowing out of every orifice when the engine starts.

Sportsters and softails are known for doing this when they sit for prolonged periods because of the location of the oil tank being higher than the sump.

Use a turkey baster and piece of hose to suck the oil out of the crankcase. I'd drain the oil tank to prevent any more oil sumping. I always attach a "no oil" tag to my key or starter button if I leave the tank empty so I don't fire it up. When it's back together, fill with oil and enjoy the bigger engine. :)

A large syringe with some window washer hose on it will also work as a fair method of extracting the excess oil and as Breeze3at said drain oil tank till job completed

Brian

Unfortunately I finshed rebuilding the engine before it dawned on me what had happened, checked the oil tank, empty.
Can I take out spark plugs and spin the engine on starter to pump oil back to tank?
OPr is there a better way?

That should pump some oil back into the oil tank whether there will be enough power in the battery to turn over the engine enough to get all the oil back i wouldn't be sure
However if going this route ensure the plugs are fitted to the ht leads and grounded otherwise the electronics of the ignition system may not be too happy

Brian

Unfortunately I finshed rebuilding the engine before it dawned on me what had happened, checked the oil tank, empty.
Can I take out spark plugs and spin the engine on starter to pump oil back to tank?
OPr is there a better way?

That should pump some oil back into the oil tank whether there will be enough power in the battery to turn over the engine enough to get all the oil back i wouldn't be sure
However if going this route ensure the plugs are fitted to the ht leads and grounded otherwise the electronics of the ignition system may not be too happy

Brian
:D This would be the correct way to do it:D

It worked, I took out the plugs and grounded them so they could spark away,
and I hooked a 16amp battery charger on to the battery. :s

I then spun the engine on the starter in 30 second bursts, every 5 minutes, and after 10 bursts the oil tank was just over half full. :laugh

Tomorrow I will carry on till tank is 3/4 full, and then bite the bullet and pop the plugs in and start her up, quite an exciting moment as first start on the converted engine. :bigsmiley11:

If all is well I will need to take it easy for the first 500 miles I guess.

Thanks all, engine started no smoke or oil, running sweetly, timing and carburation seem ok, only done 20 miles taking it easy but what an improvement in pulling power, its a different bike, well worth the cost. Now what can I do next?

Back