free website stats program Wet sumping twin cam. | Harley Davidson Forums

Wet sumping twin cam.

06kicks

Hey guys, don't know if I'm posting this in the right spot but I am new to the site. Here's my problem: 06' street glide with 95" engine, Htcc heads/pistons, 50mm throtle body, s.e. 251 cams. blah blah blah. twisted the crank this past summer. Tore everything apart, had the crank straightened to within .001" and had it welded. Put engine back together with a few more upgrades such as s.e. roller rockers and tappets, S@S 585g gear drive cams, S.E. Billet cam plate and high volume oil pump. Anyways, for the life of me I can't seem to figure out why the darn thing is wet sumping. I have pulled the engine apart 3 times. I have tried every which way to seat the o-ring from the case to pump. I have checked and rechecked the pump for scoring or gouging and took a feeler gauge to check tolerances. The cam plate is not warped. The relief vave is not jammed. The piston jets are not stuck open. I have taken the plug out of the bottom of the case and run the engine with my finger over the hole to check for good suction. The suction seems to be minimal and it comes and goes. I have also noticed that after I run the engine and pull the dipstick there is a thwump or sucking sound. I checked the breather circuit and it seems to be fine. Can somebody please help me. I am running out of ideas, patience, and of course money. Thanks, 06 kicks

I moved your post to the proper forum.

If I remember correctly, there was something to do with a passage way that had to be blocked on the cam plate if it wasn't the original plate. The old brain isn't working too good now but let me sleep on it.

Sumping is usually the result of improper pump installation or "O" ring being bad between the cam plate and block or a bad pump or misaligned pump.

Thanks Joe, that was what I was referring to on page 4 but couldn't remember where it was :D

Brain dead today.

Hey guys, thanks for the response, but my motor has that port and should not need to be plugged. I have tried installing the o-ring from the pump to the sump(case) a couple of different ways several times now. I have placed the o-ring on the pump stub and I have tried placing the o-ring in the case first and then push the pump stub into it. Neither has gotten results. O-ring looks to be in good shape everytime I pull it out. No pinching, kinking, or tearing is present. I stuck my bore scope, a great tool to have for this project, down into the sump housing to look for any debris that might have been clogging the hole. There wasn't any to be found. It seems as though I have gotten to deep into this project and I am now chasing my tail. If you have any other ideas I would certainly welcome them.

THaaaaaNKS, 06kicks

P.S. I forgot to mention that my oil pressure is right at 32p.s.i.

Kicks, I hope this might help, I assume you have the alignment pins to align the pump up, if you do try this, run the pins to where they are barley starting to pull the oil pump up to the plate or where the o ring barley makes contact with the plate then stop, raise your bike up in the rear and put it into 5th gear,with the spark plugs out have someone start turning over the back tire in a continious motion for say 10 seconds or so and not stopping, take those two pins and tighten(snug) them both at the same time then you can stop turning the back tire, put in your other oil pump bolts and tq to spec, this should align your pump properly and help with sumping, I had to do the same thing except I had no alignment pins I just used the bolts and did the same procedure, hope this helps it did on mine.

This may be a dumb question but i would like to know what are the signs of wet sumping? I mean how do you know its wet sumping?

Back