free website stats program wet or dry cluch? | Harley Davidson Forums

wet or dry cluch?

ernie52

hello
i have a 1980 80ci wide glide shovelhead, can anyone tell me how to tell if it;s a wet cluch or dry cluch.i don't know if everything is all original. cluch has ten springs in a circle with adjusting nut center.primary chain drip oil system from pump has been disconnected. i have been adding oil into primary as you newer bikes
but was just told i might have a dry cluch and shouldn't use oil in primary.
thanks in advance

hello
i have a 1980 80ci wide glide shovelhead, can anyone tell me how to tell if it;s a wet cluch or dry cluch.i don't know if everything is all original. cluch has ten springs in a circle with adjusting nut center.primary chain drip oil system from pump has been disconnected. i have been adding oil into primary as you newer bikes
but was just told i might have a dry cluch and shouldn't use oil in primary.
thanks in advance

Hmmm. I suggest that you post a few pictures so we can see what you are describing.

TQ

It's a "damp" clutch.:D
Technically it's dry but the oiling system shunts off a bit of oil for the primary chain.Stop putting oil in,reconnect the old stuff and let it do it's thing.Too much oil and the clutch will slip.The clutch basket isn't designed to evacuate excessive oil,just a little splatter.Too much and it'll pack up in there and make life difficult.

Thanks Fisher
it's going back to original.
as i've always said... better to stay outta trouble then get outta trouble

Back