free website stats program Welding on a Harley | Harley Davidson Forums

Welding on a Harley

dangerdan

I have been tracking down a vibration for the last 2 month now and finally found it.

The license plate mounting bracket has a 2 inch hair line crack. I have pulled the top bag just to get a better look and have discovered that I need to pull the side bags and remove the top rear shock bolts. Thats more more than I want to do right now.

My only option is to weld the braket while still connected to the bike.
Other than disconnecting the Pos cable from the battery, is there anything else that should be disconnected.

I'm off to work now, returning tonight

Thanks in advance

just make sure you attach the ground for the welder as close to the weld as possible.

As Wildspirit says, do not rely on ground side of welder attached thru a bolted on accessory, as a voltage drop there would cause local heating and insuffiicent current to flow thru the "stick"...and sneak currents that could back flow into grounded side of electrical components.

More important to remove the negative terminal than the positive when welding.A MIG is your best option here { Tig is even better} but Migs are readily available.Soak a couple of towels and surround the area.

I weld on cars daily.In your case keep the ground towards the rear of the bike {away from electrics} and you should be fine.

More important to remove the negative terminal than the positive when welding.A MIG is your best option here { Tig is even better} but Migs are readily available.Soak a couple of towels and surround the area.

I weld on cars daily.In your case keep the ground towards the rear of the bike {away from electrics} and you should be fine.

Cant edit my post now so heres a little info on disconnecting the negative terminal.

2003 Saturn Ion

Last edited by a moderator:
add on to everything else find like a welders blanket or something else to cover up a large area around where you welding to keep slag popping and ending up on your paint .. try to cover up as much as possible .

Its all done.

We used a tig machine, making sure the battery was disconnected, placing the ground near the weld and used a leather apron for protection.

Tig welding was not easy, but it got done. Ground the weld down to a nice shine and sprayed the whole thing with clear coat.

Back