free website stats program Weird Starting Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Weird Starting Problem

casper_zip

Hello:

Glad to find this forum. My 1991 Heritage Softail showed up with this weird probllem. I was in town, filled it with gas, rode it home, and switched it off.

Now, the problem.

My new Odyssey battery shows 13.6 volts, showing it's good to go. When I turn ignition switch on to start, voltage falls to 8.6 volts, and starter only buzzes.

I have pretty good trouble shooting skills, a great digital vom, but this one is really challenging me. Can any help on here ? Need all info and help I can get. I also have the factory manual on this model.

Thank you,

Casper_zip

Yep,, sure does.

The Open circuit voltage on a Fully Charged Odyssey Battery should only be 12.84 volts. Unless your battery was on a charger when you measure that voltage (13.6) , it sounds like the New Odyssey battery has a problem.

Yep,, sure does.

The Open circuit voltage on a Fully Charged Odyssey Battery should only be 12.84 volts. Unless your battery was on a charger when you measure that voltage (13.6) , it sounds like the New Odyssey battery has a problem.

Dead short in one cell will cause this

As the others have said...you did not say how long you had the Odessey battery in there and if you were fairly diligent trickle charging it regularly and not abusing it by deep discharging multiple times. A battery should last 8-10 years.

Back