free website stats program Weird problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Weird problem

Hi folks, this is going to sound odd maybe but here goes. I replaced my pipes from the short stagger types to more of a drag pipe style. Before I go on, I know that the pipe change has nothing to do with this issue. It's just background because I used a ..moto/ATV lift. After changing pipes I took the bike off the lift to take it outside to check for exhaust leaks. I could not roll the bike forward or backward. It shows to be in neutral.
I thought maybe I inadvertently crimped a brakeline but can't see where. I cracked the bleeder on the calipers which should have released any pressure on the brakes. I started the bike to put it back into the garage and it will roll but I can definitely hear some screeching as it was rolling. The only thing I did as far as dealing with the brakes was to pull off the pipe bracket for the short staggers. Please help! I don't have the money for a shop fix.

"The only thing I did as far as dealing with the brakes was to pull off the pipe bracket".
What are you calling the "pipe bracket"?

"The only thing I did as far as dealing with the brakes was to pull off the pipe bracket".
What are you calling the "pipe bracket"?
The pipes were the vance and hines short/staggers. There is a metal bracket that bolts on using two bolt holes beneath the front sprocket cover. The bracket itself is a sort of Z shaped affair of stamped metal that supports the pipes. It is located just forward of the rear brake actuator. I have forward controls so it was not an issue.

I did have to remove the foot brake control due to it being in front of the cover. However, it was very easy to deal with and I could see that it was not in any sort of bind

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the rear brake is on to me. Check the rear master cylinder and see if it isn't binding some way. Check to see if the brake light is on all the time. removing the foot brake control probably has something to do with it. See if the new exhaust is tight against the master cylinder.

That was my first thought as well. I did check the brake lights and they are not on. I also opened the bleeder on the caliper to relieve the pressure. I did this to both front and back brakes. I'm heading home from work in a few and will post my findings for you guys to look at further.

I have seen also where the front heat shield will block the rear pedal from returning all the way, thus causing slight brake application.
tourbox

I would be rechecking the mounting bolts for the bracket, look for scratch marks on the sprocket and rotor, maybe jack it back up so you can spin the rear wheel to find the noise.

Get it up in the air and see which, brake is in a bind; my money is on the rear. Once confirmed, go from there.

Thank you all for the suggestions. As soon as I get home from work in the morning I will check on these and see which one works.

Back