free website stats program weather (temp) and oil | Harley Davidson Forums

weather (temp) and oil

rydahog

so i am here in fla. and i am wondering what if any oil changes i should make for my ride. My concern is with the temps here in fla. should i continue using a brand name syn. oil? 20-50...or maybe because of the heat. (air temp) here in fla. should i go to a 10-40 syn?? thanks..ryd :D

I'm in Tampa and have had syn 3 in the bike since new. I've never had it get hot except for walking the bike down Mainstreet in Daytona. I don't feel we have that much of change in temps to worry. Just my opinion....

10/40 is going the wrong way in the heat, the 20/50 is a better choice, even 20/60 in the high heat months.

I deal with the 100+ summer temps in Texas, and run 20/50 synthetic. Haven't had any problems.

I deal with the 100+ summer temps in Texas,

I can't imagine what 100 plus is like. The highest I got hit with this year was maybe 96 and the jiffy stand sank into the asphalt. :p
You better tell me the humidity was 20%....mine was 90%

Been in Florida 12 years and run 20/50 year round with no problems never trusted 10/40 oil Seems to me years ago Ford was only manufacture using 10/40

I would only run 20W50 in your bike. And if your going Synthetic I would go with Amsoil hands down. I think that Amsoil is one of the better oils.

I would only run 20W50 in your bike. And if your going Synthetic I would go with Amsoil hands down. I think that Amsoil is one of the better oils.

Amsoil is difficult to find on the road if you need it. Other oils can be had in most auto parts stores and are as good as or better than Amsoil.

I can't imagine what 100 plus is like. The highest I got hit with this year was maybe 96 and the jiffy stand sank into the asphalt. :p
You better tell me the humidity was 20%....mine was 90%

20% humidity would be nice, but it's definitely better than your 90%. I got to experience that up in New York last August; made me appreciate the semi-arid heat down here.

Back