free website stats program Waterfront Property | Harley Davidson Forums

Waterfront Property

oldhippie

It started raining Friday, and rained all day Saturday.:bigsmiley15: By supper time Saturday our house and garage were an island. By 10 pm our house was an island with one corner of the garage under 3" of water. My driveway is under about 8" of water for the first time.
The shed I built two years ago has about 4" of water in it. It was built 12" off the ground; the gravel base around the shed was the highest the water had ever been before.

On the bright side, I won't have to water my wife's plants or cut the grass for awhile:D.

Being from the same province I know what your talking about Oldhippie. We've had about 8 inches of rain in the last month. Hard to get in a dry ride!

Actually, Geezer, up until this weekend, I thought the weather hasn't been too bad. Compared to the last few years, it was dry. Which is why it just had to open up on us.:small3d007:

The attached pics are looking out my front door to the hwy, the back door to the patio, the garage entrance door and to my shed. I don't know if you can make it out, but the trash line on the garage shows how high the water got last night. It's come down a couple of inches this morn, but it's still raining off & on.

Attachments

• 2010 Backstep Northwest to shed.jpg
    2010 Backstep Northwest to shed.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 2010 Driveway Looking East.jpg
    2010 Driveway Looking East.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4460.jpg
    IMG_4460.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 2010 Backstep looking North.jpg
    2010 Backstep looking North.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 43
Looks like you've got a mess there. I just checked the rain gauge and dumped out 1.75 inches from yesterday. Even the ducks think it's enough for now.

Looks like you've got a mess there. I just checked the rain gauge and dumped out 1.75 inches from yesterday. Even the ducks think it's enough for now.

At least my basement has stayed (relatively) dry and my Ultra is dry. A lot of basements in Lac du Bonnet are flooded with the sewer and culverts being overloaded. Glad I don't live in town.

I expect a bumper crop of mosquitos now.:mgun

I was born in Winnipeg. Dad had a farm around Ochre River in the early 50's and I remember the flooding then. I might have been about 5 years old, good luck with this flood. My sister and an aunt live in Winnipeg and I usually take a bike ride out every 2 or 3 years but it sounds like this is not the time to do it.
kemo

Wow, a lot of water there...looking at the lush greenery I would say, you have had no problem with drought like we have had in SoCal...

Kemo, right now isn't so great for riding, but hopefully it'll get better and I expect it will. Just be prepared to eat lots of protien rich bugs:lolrolling

NewHDFan: This year we had an early spring and things were looking pretty dry in April. They even had a ban on all fires because it was so dry. Then it decided to start raining and everything greened up nice and the riding was great. Then this hit us. The last big dump of rain we had on 2007 was no where near as bad as this, volume wise. But then my septic pump had some restrictions in the inlet and I came closer to flooding from the tank backing up. This time new pump and new inlet and the pump kept ahead nicely.

If I could send this weather your way, I would; just not to this extreme.

I feel for you. We had flooding in middle TN a month ago. A lot of places were underwater, and the number businesses that have not been able to complete repairs and open up yet is staggering. We wound up with 8 or 9 inches of rain in 2 days, it was called the flood of the century.

Hang in there, the water will go down, and material things can be repaired or replaced, just keep yourself, family and friends safe.

I feel for you. We had flooding in middle TN a month ago. A lot of places were underwater, and the number businesses that have not been able to complete repairs and open up yet is staggering. We wound up with 8 or 9 inches of rain in 2 days, it was called the flood of the century.

Hang in there, the water will go down, and material things can be repaired or replaced, just keep yourself, family and friends safe.

Thanks Jake. I remember watching that on the news. That was going through my mind as the water was rising so when the rain stopped I was thanking my lucky stars we weren't hit that bad. My biggest concern was the basement and as long as the power didn't go out we'd be OK.
The water's down a good 8" already. Garage floor is drained and my driveway has maybe a couple of inches to drive through for 10'.
I'm only a mile from the river and it's good 20 ft drop at the river banks, so most of this is overloaded culverts. Hydro generating stations on the river keep the levels well regulated, so there's no chance of the river overflowing it's banks.

Family is always first!!!

Back