free website stats program Water resistance Help. | Harley Davidson Forums

Water resistance Help.

BUBBIE

Guys, I've had a lot of members asking How to keep the TFI,Gen3,4 DRY..

I know positioning is very important but what say you?

I was thinking about a plastic bag Loose for some air but directional so the water would Mostly stay out and off..

You guys must have suggestions for the members who will read here.. Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

Guys, I've had a lot of members asking How to keep the TFI,Gen3,4 DRY..

I know positioning is very important but what say you?

I was thinking about a plastic bag Loose for some air but directional so the water would Mostly stay out and off..

You guys must have suggestions for the members who will read here.. Thanks

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie I think a plastic bag if mounted so the open end of the bag were facing down to let air in and still keep the face of the unit dry would be a big plus:s

Not trying to be comical, but I know riders who wrap their non-weather proof GPS units in a condom...do you think this would also work for tuner? Maybe too waterproof/sealed???

Our controllers are still electronics and you can never claim 100% being waterproof, however, we put a coating agent over all the electronics which pretty much make them water resistant. We've thrown our controller in a bucket of water for 24 hours and the unit continued to function correctly.

TRUE STORY: A guy along the Mississippi River had a 4-wheeler accident which resulted in his ATV at the bottom of the river. Two days later they finally managed to drag out his quad. Of course we mention this story because he had our controller installed on his quad. Even after the two days of being submerged he sent in our unit to be checked out and it fired up and continued working.

We do not get many warranty units as a result of water damage. Our main suggestion for all riders is: DO NOT POWER WASH DIRECTLY ONTO THE CONTROLLER!! A little rain or spilled drink is not going to damage our unit, but directly power washing over electronics is never a good idea.

So,,,,IF WE do cover them like with a open end for a little air movement OR SEALING totally from the water ... Will the plastic cover hold Heat or do any damage?

I would think you'll say no problem to wrap loosely in a plastic bag???

thanks

signed....BUBBIE

I am sure that a glove or cover of sorts could be made out of a length of old inner tube a wee bit of glue and some zip ties

Brian

so what would happen if you just put a good blob of silicone where the wires come out of the unit and around the rubber plug ??

Not sure where everybody is placing the TFI on there bike's, I chose to put it in front of the ECM under the right side cover of the Road King. With Dobecks response of the water resistance and then the river drenching I don't think any other covers or such is really necessary is it? Tim

Attachments

• road king 001.jpg
    road king 001.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 37
  • road king 002.jpg
    road king 002.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 33
Back