free website stats program Water film behind speedometer lens. | Harley Davidson Forums

Water film behind speedometer lens.

oldav8r

I have a 2002 Road King and there is water film around the outer edges of the inside of the speedometer lens. Does anyone have a solution for disassembly and cleaning the inside of the lens? I know how to remove the dash and the speedometer, just not aware if I can disassemble the bezel from the speedometer.
Help please!

Baest regards,
The Old Aviator

It can be done but it will return again. One of the bad points of the harleys. The bezel can be removed but it is more or less crimped on the housing so it will always look like the speedo was tampered with.

I remember an article in American Iron about this where they drilled a small hole in the lens and sucked it dry not sure what they resealed it with but i bet these windshield repair outfits u see on T V would have that answer or a dab of clear RTV silicone might do

This is the Old Aviator again. Actually there isn't moisture on the lens, it's stains from the moisture. I guess the response from "Glider" is pretty much what I expected and I'll tackle it when I put the scooter up for the month or so of cold weather we have here.

If I come up with any good information during the work, I'll make some pics and write a brief article.

Last edited:
i had a small white spider growing in my 1998 flsts speedo gauge. i tried to propane him dead,then i tried the truck exhaust,that didn't work either just made a big mess of the inside.finally i used a magnifying glass and burned him with the sun.he was dead but i didn't like the mess i made of the inside!i finally ran the kitchen sink full of hot water and dish soap and submerged the whole gauge till the water seeped into everywhere and i swooshed it around back and forth.kind of drastic huh!! i rinsed all the soap out of everywhere and tiped the whole gauge all up and down to get most of the water out,the rest i used a hair dryer blowing into the back of the gauge to dry the face plate off.let the gauge and printed circuit dry real good and plugged it back in.been working ever since.would not recommend this unless you are really desperate. the spider had built a small web right over the digital readout for the miles travelled and it was blocking two digits of the readout.if you want to seal the gauge up a small ball of plumbers putty will seal any opennings up in the back where the moisture enters but i did not do this because i figured the gauge had to breath based on changes in athmospheric presure or humidity.you will do more harm than good trying to take the glass off the gauge.

Drill a small hole in the back of the speedo close as you can to the face of it.
Make sure the hole is at the bottom when reinstalled.
Take a syringe and fill it with rubbing alcohol and insert it in the speedo with the face down.Swish it around then drain.
You may have to do it a couple times to get the film off then leave it at room temp overnight to evaporate the excess alcohol and reinstall in the morning.
Don't cover the small hole you drilled it will keep the moisture from re-forming.
I have done this on a couple bikes,including my own and it works well.

Thank you, STEVE07. I guess that's the most reasonable and logical solution so far and it will prevent me from prying off the bezel to gain access to the lens. Better also than a new speedometer!
Regards,
Mike

Hello mkd58. Your reply was the most entertaining so far and what a hoot! It makes me wonder if you were inspired by some of Bro. Adolph's' activities during WW II.
Thanks for the giggle!
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Back