free website stats program warped rotor | Harley Davidson Forums

warped rotor

algoma

HI!

My 09 sreetglide has a pulsation in front brakes.Fund left rotor .022" out.
I have two new rotors to install and was wondering if I should change the brake pads also.I'm thinking they could be damaged from the warpage.
Have 18,000k on brakes,lots of meat yet.Your input is appreciated..Thanks!

Your pads have "seated" in to the old rotors. You can re-use them if you feel there's a lot of life left but I would use extra caution for the first couple hundred miles to allow them to seat into the new rotors. For the price of new pads though, you may just want to throw a new set on there, unless money's really tight, but brakes is something I wouldn't want to chance.

I had about 24,000 miles on my 09 FLHR, when the rotor went south like yours. Just the one side (right front) on mine...

I opted for a new set of disc-pads at that time as it was apart and not that much extra to have HD replace.

BUT,,,,Make sure you get a $$ quote for install of the new pads WHILE APART for the rotor replacement... Some dealiers will Gouge you IF you don't ask.
(mine was under warranty at that time)

It is not hard to do the pads on your own if you are not Lazy as I'm getting in my older age.:D

I doubt unusual wear would have developed if caught early-on. It is a wobble and not much for the pad to do but follow...

IF you have an 1/8 or so left, they would last you for a long time Yet...

signed....BUBBIE

If you were to look closely at the pads you may see a bit of uneven wear, i never use old pads with new rotors, If you do you may want to re scuff them so they seat properly

I don't know if this is common with 09 and later touring models.
Should I go with oem pads or aftemarket? I see kevlar pads for 36$ a pair.Are they better or same as oem? Have no idea what the harley ones cost but will call dealer for price.
Ideas and suggestions always welcome! Thanks again!

I prefer Lyndall Z-Plus aftermarkets....excellent stopping power. About $85 for a set for your model year.

When replacing brake rotors bike or car i always replace the brake pads also i prefer to use brake pads from the same source as the rotor as they should be a good match together
some high performance brake pads may generate extra heat and assist in warping the rotor
Do take some care and bed the pads and rotors in or brake performance/life may be affected

Brian

I prefer Lyndall Z-Plus aftermarkets....excellent stopping power. About $85 for a set for your model year.
I agree here. I have them on my RKC. They are much more quiet (no chirping when released), and generate much less dust. Stopping power is indistinguishable from what I had with the noisy, dusty OEMs.

Enjoy,
Ric P

Back