free website stats program warming up | Harley Davidson Forums

warming up

macmic87

had this bike for only a few weeks. has and S&S super E carb on 1999 fatboy. just seems that there is a definite time for the bike to get warmed up before it will start to act normal. is this because the S&S does not have a choke? really can't go for a ride until it gets to this point. am I the only one or is this normal?

If you look around on the carb, you'll find a lever for the choke.

I thought that was an enrichment and idle increase for the cold start, but I do not see how it acts as a choke. I do use this, but it just seems to have run with that assist until it is fully warmed up even on a 80 degree day.

How much time to warm up are you talking about? You should feel some heat from the rear rocker box cover with your knuckle. That is a good indicator for the EVO motor. Have you checked for intake leaks?

The enrichment knob you're using is the only thing on the S&S Super E carb. Use the throttle lock under the right throttle grip (star shaped nut) To keep the rpm's at a high idle with as much enrichener as you need to have it run as smooth as possible until you can feel the rear rocker cover get warm and you should be good to go. My evo was extremely cold blooded and didn't run great until fully warmed up. After that it idled well and ran like a scalded cat.
WAP.gif

How much time to warm up are you talking about? You should feel some heat from the rear rocker box cover with your knuckle. That is a good indicator for the EVO motor. Have you checked for intake leaks?

like Don says with the EVO i warm my 98 up until the rear cylinder is hot on my knuckles....then she purrs....:D

The enrichment knob you're using is the only thing on the S&S Super E carb. Use the throttle lock under the right throttle grip (star shaped nut) To keep the rpm's at a high idle with as much enrichener as you need to have it run as smooth as possible until you can feel the rear rocker cover get warm and you should be good to go. My evo was extremely cold blooded and didn't run great until fully warmed up. After that it idled well and ran like a scalded cat.
WAP.gif

like Don says with the EVO i warm my 98 up until the rear cylinder is hot on my knuckles....then she purrs....:D

seems like the nature of the beast to like being fully warmed up. but I will have an opportunity to look around the intake. will be doing an upgrade to the breather.

I had an '86 FLHTC, 80" Evo, S&S Super E carb. Required full activation of the enrichener on any cold start, regardless of the ambient temp. Also, had to leave it at least partially engaged until I was 4-5 miles down the road. After that, all was good.

Have you checked you idle air mixture screw. You check/adj. after the warm because of vacuum changes. It's the bigger screw on top behind the air cleaner. It looks like a + because of screw driver slots. If the bike came from a different area you may need to re-jet due to altitude differences. S&S is not a CV type carb..
tourbox

Have you checked you idle air mixture screw. You check/adj. after the warm because of vacuum changes. It's the bigger screw on top behind the air cleaner. It looks like a + because of screw driver slots. If the bike came from a different area you may need to re-jet due to altitude differences. S&S is not a CV type carb..
tourbox

I had found a great S&S tuning video on youtube. that took me through the whole process. it did need to be adjusted and worked well after that.

SG Carb Basic Setup - YouTube

finally got all the parts (carb rebuild kit and a breather kit) and got them installed. made a nice difference on the cold starting and the amount of time to get it warmed up to go for a ride. plugs look good after a nice 20 mile ride. funny thing is I never had to deal with the vacuum part of the shutoff valve before. should have seen the look on my face when I could not get fuel into the bowl after I rebuilt the carb.

Back