free website stats program Warming Gear | Harley Davidson Forums

Warming Gear

Looking for some information here. Does anyone use the cigarette lighter plug on the Ultra to power 12 volt warming gear. I have a full set of 12 volt gear; jacket and pants liner, gloves and socks and when all are on and turned to high using a dual controller, total amperage draw is just under 15 amps. I am just wondering if the cigarette lighter plug can provide this much continuous power without harming anything. The only other option would be to hard wire this gear directly to the battery. I believe any Ultra with a 48 amp stator should be able to handle the load. If I am way out in left field someone please correct me.

WHY????
I'm just asking... hardwiring the heated gear to the bike, takes less than 5 minutes, with the most time spent, setting the clock, and saved radio stations. There's no reason TO not use the power port... but I have heard of folks using the PP, and the adapter loosen up, causing the gear to lose power. Rare... but has happened.

If you are riding solo, there shouldn't be a problem, however if you carry a passenger, who also uses the heated gear, you WILL need to install a harness for them, why not just add both, and free up the PP

A lot of guys, run the harness up through the back rest split, or out through the nose of the seat.

As SkootchNC says, hardwiring with proper disconnect cords is best. First, it adds "modularity" to the system, so you have "break points" if you want to configure more or less equipment for you and/or pillion partner. Second, it allows you to change parts for service or add controls or accessories while freeing up your power port. Also, the power port may not be fused for the proper current w/ all accessories...remember it has a phenolic/fiber insulator in there, not the high temp ceramic insulator of a "true cigarette lighter receptacle." :33:

I usually open my mouth WAY too early on this kind of stuff but it sounds to me like masterguns is asking if the system (and the power plug) can handle the electrical load and current put through it rather than whether or not it can be physically done. Of course, I have no answer to his question :( I guess I read it differently then you guys did.

The fuse in most cigarette lighters on most bikes is rated at 5 amps. That's enough to power the set of Gerbing gloves that I bought a couple of years ago but adding a jacket liner or pants or anything else will blow the fuse. Hard wiring is the way to go.

yes put the quick connect in. will save you tons of aggravation. Will most probably blow the fuse specially with 2 up. Its so easy just remove the seat connect to battery and waala your done...Even a caveman can do it...lol :D

I have never seen a cigarette lighter socket support 15 amps and would not even try it. Your drawing near 1/3 of the total capacity of your charging system for your accessories. Add to that some lights, radio, ignition, etc and I bet you won't even be able to blow your horn without blowing a fuse.

yes put the quick connect in. will save you tons of aggravation. Will most probably blow the fuse specially with 2 up. Its so easy just remove the seat connect to battery and waala your done...Even a caveman can do it...lol :D

ohhh sure pick on us cavemen :devil

I usually open my mouth WAY too early on this kind of stuff but it sounds to me like masterguns is asking if the system (and the power plug) can handle the electrical load and current put through it rather than whether or not it can be physically done. Of course, I have no answer to his question :( I guess I read it differently then you guys did.

SMK...you interpret correctly...I for one do not TELL anyone they can't do something...it is their bike after all...BUT I will recommend alternatives if I do not think it is the BEST approach. Notice some weighted in and said if you use one or two "light" loaded warming gear no problem, but 15A max rating is just that...heaters like incadencent lights draw AMPS and fusing is generally twice the maximum steady state load...so 7.5A is really the max you should draw on that 15A accessory line.

Heaters also have a surge current until the wire elements heat, increasing the resistance and taper down to drawing less. Transistors have a opposite affect, negative temperature coefficient...they draw more current and will go into thermal runaway if not for circuits to protect them...! That is why power amplifiers (Booming BASS power amps) for example will draw huge transient surges, like heaters, requiring direct battery connection as well.

Last edited:
I'd like to thank everyone for their input/guidance. Last night I removed the seat and tied the manufacturers harness directly to the battery. This harness comes with an inline 15A fuze. I was just looking for another way to hook up my warming gear without having to additional wiring to "my gorgeous". That could had been accomplished if the pp could support the possibly 15A load. I also doubt I'd ever be using the entire set of gear at the same time. If it is that cold, heck I'll be in a cage. However, I think I most likely will be using only the jacket liner and gloves. I have had a set of heated grips for some time (took them off my metric sometime back), but I think they draw more than heated gloves and even if the grips were on in cold weather, I'd still probably be wearing gloves. I'll have to decide on this one.

Keep the greasy side down.

Thanks

Back