free website stats program Warm-up Time | Harley Davidson Forums

Warm-up Time

cyborg

When you start bike with a cold motor, how long do you let it run to warm-up before you drive off?

When you start bike with a cold motor, how long do you let it run to warm-up before you drive off?

Up in the Northeast in the Winter or probably late Fall through early Spring, you might want to warm it for a couple of minutes before taking off, and then ride easy until the valve covers are warm to the touch. Then go for it.

The TCs do not have the same issues as the EVOs did with respect to warm up. With the EVOs, it is best to warm up the bike until the valve covers are warm to the touch BEFORE taking off!!

TQ

Having a new model HD, as TQ says probably just a couple minutes, 'bout the time to put on your helmet and riding gear and take it easy before "reving it up to full highway speed.

Being as I have a carbureted model, I have to do this out of necessity, with the choke on full for about 1 minute, 1/2 for 2-3 minutes and off by the time I hit the local freeway and cruise initially at about 45-55, because the bike would sputter and back fire if I tried to speed up the process.

With my 06, it is pretty much start it up and take off. I leave around 5AM and try my best to be a good neighbor and a good husband, since my wife is still in bed. So I put all my gear on, roll her out of the garage, start it, make sure all is good and off I go for 25 mph for a little bit.

I know it is preferable to let it warm up a bit, but I don't do it to my cars and just don't want to be rude to my neighbors.

I usually start mine,then put on my gear .That is my warm up time.

Any air cooled engine needs a bit of warm up time, I usually let mine run a couple if minutes at the first start of the day, and about 1 minute during the rest of the ride. Most of the metal to metal wear occurs during the first few seconds of the start cycle, so why make it any worse? Good oils (synthetics) help a lot, and the extral few seconds give you time to get your gear on and ready to ride.
With aircraft engines, also air cooled "jugs' thermal shock can lead to cracked cylinders, and they are of a very simiiar design. For the same reason never wash your bike when the engine is warm.

Mine is a carbed engine, but I start it put my helmet on and back it out of the shop and ride it. 2 or 3 minutes max warm up for me.

Start it while pushing it back out the garage and onto the driveway. Push choke in and set throttle so I'm getting about 1100 rpms. Get off put on gloves and helment. Mount up and head out. Warm up is maybe 1-2 minutes?? Usually limit my rpms to below 3000 for first 5-10 minutes of riding.

I start mine up and then start putting on the helmet, gloves etc... usually just a couple of minutes. Mine gets hot fast, so I don't need to wait tooooo long. :D
Ugly John

It's a machine & needs a bit of warm up before applying resistance. A minute or so at idle & a few minutes at low rpm without lugging is what I do with all my machines.

Back