free website stats program Want more torque | Harley Davidson Forums

Want more torque

Roklock

Hello,

Currently ride a fatboy, a lot of times 2-up, and I would like get a little better throttle response when I ask for it. I know it is a heavy bike not to mention the two riders but...

Can a TFI help with the lowend torque or do I need to consider something like a Thundermax or power comander?

Thanks,

Steve

A ThunderMax isn't gonna give you much more if any more power than a TFI. What a T-max will give you is more tuning options other than just adding fuel, but it comes with a fairly large price. Your looking at spending about $650 more for the T-max than the TFI. If you stock now then, "yes" going to a full stage one by adding fuel, air, and exhaust you will get a little more power.

Either way you're looking at about 10-12 more HP and more TQ too. The TFI will do it for a lot less $$$ than the T Max will but the T Max will tune more aspects of the engine. Is it worth the extra $650, I don think so, not at all.

The thunder max is quite a bit of coin.

I use the SERT and love it. The new Super SERT is supposed to be easier to use and costs about $450 if I remember right. When I did my stage 1 and SERT there was a lot more power and torque and was well worth the money.

I agree with Elmosac. The SERT is an Awesome product. Buy it once and re-map your bike anytime you want. It marries itself to the 1st ECM it comes in contact with but so what. For the price, it's a steal. Sure it's not for everyone. It is NOT a product you take out of the box, plug in and use. It takes some time to read up and learn how to use it. But it's so rewarding to know you did it yourself. Comes with a 15 minute recording VCI (interface) so you can store & snap-shot all IO ports of the ECM while you ride. Everyone wants to make you think it's Black Magic or VooDoo.
It's Not!

Hello,

Currently ride a fatboy, a lot of times 2-up, and I would like get a little better throttle response when I ask for it. I know it is a heavy bike not to mention the two riders but...

Can a TFI help with the lowend torque or do I need to consider something like a Thundermax or power comander?

Thanks,

Steve

I put on V&H slip-ons. Scrm'n eagle air , DOBECK GFI... and I do better in the 2-up on my 2009 FLHR.. (DOBECK offers a discount for military and others) I saved @100$ off the reg price of ? 239?

I liked what it (GFI) did for my bike, richened up the fuel mixture and no poping.. NOTICED a BIG improvement with the total package i used... still might do the 26H cam...

I have read some good stuff on a MILD CAM like 26H .... The cam would improve low end and DOBECK says the GFI can adjust for cam if needed....

I have a question out to a member who posted using the 26N in his 99 ultra...maybe watch for HIS responce there..

look under NEW CAM IDEAS? under engine fuel exhaust

signed....BUBBIE

BUT......................if you want Torque you need CUBES i mean proper torque i dont mean going stupid and fitting massive barrels and huge cams and high comp pistons and heads , but doing the 103 upgrade with the 255 cam will give you the TQ and HP hike that you are possibly looking for, yes its a good bit more $$$$ but in the long run its worth it, it works and its reliable.
but if its a bit much then a proper stage 1 will assist

Yes, the 103 is in the future. I have already done the stage 1. I put on Python dual staggereds, Pro R hypercharger, and HD download. I have been looking at the T-max and PC V but leaning towards the T-Max since after talking with Fuelmoto they feel the PC V is too tight a fit with autotune

Hobbit is correct. You need CI's, flow (head work/intake/exhaust) and the proper cam. Proper cam selection is of utmost importance and the 255 cam is a great torque cam. The PCV is an awesome unit, I have it w/ autotune and it was $619 that I would spend again. Now, it was a very tight fit (especially w/ the two autotune modules) but if I can make it fit, anyone can make it fit. I've heard great things about the SERT but I like the idea that I can take my PCV off my bike and either sell it or move it to my next bike.

Since the SERT is no more, and its replacement the "Super Tuner" has less actual capability,

When you say the Super Tuner has less actual capability what do you mean. What is missing that you would like to have. You can adjust spark advance and A/F on each cylinder independently. You can control idle, O2 bias, warm up enrichment & a host of other items. What am I missing.?

Hoop!

It seems as though the conventional wisdom around these parts is to throw away the stock closed-loop features. I can't say I think that's a good idea; it means losing much more value than the few bucks you save to do it. If you want honest in-depth discussion of all the pros/cons of those systems, feel free to ask.

I am still in the research side of this. Looks like HD is out right now as the three close ones have said they will only install their tuner and won't put on the T-Max or PC V.

I am always inclined to consider all my options so feel free to discuss the TTS. I am confused about the comment on throwing away the closed loop system. Both the T-Max and PC V keep that but just have you install wide band OXy sensors if you are putting on their autotune, which is what I am looking at.

Steve

Back