free website stats program Wanna see a cutaway of your HD oil filter? | Harley Davidson Forums

Wanna see a cutaway of your HD oil filter?

papaseven

Here's some pis of the filter that came off of my 03 RK with 3500 miles on this oil filter.
This filter was bought new from dealer on 10/3/08 and installed same day.

Good quality parts with no internal corrosion, Dedicated relief valve, Nitrile lip seal between cartridge and flange "tight fit on cartridge means no dirty oil can bypass", heavy gauge flange with no burrs, coil spring instead of inferior stamped spring, and what appears to be a standard pleated paper element with metal end caps and metal tube inside element.
Notice the large gap between cartridge and endcap. "good thing". This means it has plenty of room for a large volume of oil to flow with no restrictions.
I tried twisting the endcaps and was unable to by hand. The adhesive used was evenly applied with no excess to break loose.

Looks very similar to NAPA and Wix filters that I have cut apart before. Probably made to MOCO specs by Dana/Wix but I can't say for sure.

Is it worth the extra money over a NAPA, Wix, or Purolator. You'll have to decide that.
It is made the way a filter ought to be made with no cheap parts and clean assembly.

Geno

Attachments

• 11.20.08 037.jpg
    11.20.08 037.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 11.20.08 038.jpg
    11.20.08 038.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 221
  • 11.20.08 041.jpg
    11.20.08 041.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 11.20.08 043.jpg
    11.20.08 043.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 11.20.08 042.jpg
    11.20.08 042.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 158
Here's the rest of the pics. Could only attach five on each post.

BTW
I took this filter to a friend that owns a company that sells and rebuilds hydraulic pumps and motors. They are a certified dealer for most major brands of hydraulic equipment. He was able to test it on his machine for flow rate before I cut it apart.
It was flowing 40wt hydraulic oil at 7gpm which means it would probably still not be bypassing at 10,000 miles.
I'm not saying you should run one that long but it was comforting to know that I could go 5000 between changes if I wanted to.
This was not the 10 micron filter!! I don't use them because I feel they will not flow enough oil. That's just my personal opinion and is based on nothing but my hard head.

Geno

Attachments

• 11.20.08 050.jpg
    11.20.08 050.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 11.20.08 049.jpg
    11.20.08 049.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 11.20.08 047.jpg
    11.20.08 047.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 11.20.08 044.jpg
    11.20.08 044.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 11.20.08 051.jpg
    11.20.08 051.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Here's the rest of the pics. Could only attach five on each post.

BTW
I took this filter to a friend that owns a company that sells and rebuilds hydraulic pumps and motors. They are a certified dealer for most major brands of hydraulic equipment. He was able to test it on his machine for flow rate before I cut it apart.
It was flowing 40wt hydraulic oil at 7gpm which means it would probably still not be bypassing at 10,000 miles.
I'm not saying you should run one that long but it was comforting to know that I could go 5000 between changes if I wanted to.
This was not the 10 micron filter!! I don't use them because I feel they will not flow enough oil. That's just my personal opinion and is based on nothing but my hard head.

Geno
Which filter is it? H.D. uses a 5 micron on all TC88's.

Which filter is it? H.D. uses a 5 micron on all TC88's.

It's the 63796-77A filter that is used on the EVO motors with a nominal 30 micron rating

But:

I don't buy into all this "MICRON" hype.

Consider that a single particle of visible light is barely submicron: ".7 micron"
A human hair ranges between 75 and 300 microns wide. Bacteria is in the 12-15 micron range. A red blood cell is 20 microns.

If you used a filter that had a true absolute 5 micron rating and a surface area of 150-200 sq. inches "Typical amount of filter media in a small oil filter" it would be stopped up by the soot that blows by the rings and the particles in the air from the crankcase ventilation system in a matter of hours.
It would take a filter with a hundred square feet of media and would be the size of a five gallon bucket to provide a useful life in a combustion engine at a true 5 micron rating.

The recommended finish on the crankshaft journals is 15-20 microns. The finish on cylinder walls is commonly in the 25-40 micron range. Any smoother than this and the oil won't cling to the suface and provide a film for the parts to ride on.

If you're gonna do any engine work or even pull the dipstick to check your oil and your that obsessed with particles that size then you better do it in a Class 1 clean room because the particles of skin that you're shedding at this moment are approx. 35-45 microns in size and you're shedding them at a rate of 42 million per hour.

For the life of me I don't know where Harley gets this junk that they put out.

Personally I'm not trying to seperate red blood cells from plasma but even if I were I could probably get by with a Fram(sic) filter.

Since I'm just trying to make sure my Harley gets enough clean oil at flow rates high enough to keep it cool then I'll use a good quality filter made by a reputable company and not worry about whether my filter will catch a particle of dust mite poo.

Happy Thanksgiving ya'll

Geno

Last edited:
Papaseven said it all. I use a K&N just because it has a nut on the end that makes it easier to get on and off, end of story.

That sounds pretty good but why is there a filter for the EVO and one for the TC88? Everyone including HD says not to use an EVO filter on the 88 because of the oil jets that cool the pistons have smaller holes.

That sounds pretty good but why is there a filter for the EVO and one for the TC88? Everyone including HD says not to use an EVO filter on the 88 because of the oil jets that cool the pistons have smaller holes.

I can't answer that one Porkchop. If those jets are that small then they couldn't be flowing much oil but that's just my opinion.
I just know that a 5 micron filter is too restictive for anything but as a coelescing filter used after a 20-40 micron main filter. If you did it that way it would keep the oil spotless for sure.
I'll take one off next time I service someones bike that uses the Super5 and have my buddy flow check it.:D

BTW
Is Lake Tawakoni still the Sand Bass capital of Texas. When I lived in Mesquite the boss would take the whole crew out in april for a fishing weekend. It was nothing for the 10 of us to catch 500 or 600 sand bass a day if they were schooling on the surface.
We would buy cheap silver spoons by the card.
The boss would fry them up at night and we would all eat fish and drink until the sun came up and do it again.
Never found another lake again like that but that was over thirty years ago too.
Geno

Last edited:
Back