free website stats program Vrod VS Bear | Harley Davidson Forums

Vrod VS Bear

Crocker

A friend of mine called me yesterday to see if I could give him hand after he got out of work, he was having trouble with his well pump , So on my way back home last nite I was on a 3 mile stretch of road that is very curvy that passes through state game lands,and I know a lot of game crosses,about 3 weeks ago another friend of mine totaled his car on that very same stretch of road , Well I came out of a curve at about 30 mph ,there was no time to react there the bear was ,He tryed to bolt but to no avail I hit him dead center of his body mass , I have to say he absorbed most of the blow as the bike went down and we slid about 10 yrds are soo together, by time I got up the bear was long gone all that was left was me and my bike still running n its side ,I shut it dwn and picked the bike up ,then checked myself ,I was glad to feel good ,but new my rite shoulder and hip took the brunt of the blow ,but felt ok considering I just hit a bear , it was dark so assesment of the bikes dameage was hard to see up here ther are no lites at all and I was in the middle of state game lands , the only thing I could see it that I sheered the brake/peg mount rite off other then that the bike looked ok , but I needed to somehow tie up the brake/peg mount that was hanging on the ground by the brake line , no cell service in that neck of the woods very few cars pass through that road also , So now Im looking roadside for anything to tie up the brake ,nothing out there but wood ,so im thing a vine or soft small branch as Im saying to myself this is just my luck well God must have been with me ,for some reason I reach around to my back pockets and wamo two wire ties sticking out of my back pocket that I guess I stuck back there while my friend and I were installing his new well pump , put the 2 wire ties together and got that brake wired tied up and limped home with a front brake and one peg to rest my foot on the next 15 miles . I was a touch soar last nite before bed ,but this morning Im 100% ok as for the bike I need a new rite lower frame rail ,rite rad cover , throttle grip end cover and repaint the exhaust shields .Nt to bad for hitting a good size bear Id say.and the friend that I helped out with the well pump is the service manager at my HD dealer,So he feels real bad and will have all my parts by tues or weds at dealer cost.

Heck of a tale to tell Crocker.

It sounds like you (and your VRod) are very lucky to have not sustained any more damage than what you reported here.

I'd like to hear the bear's side of the story. I'm sure he received some damage as well.

Wow!. One heck of a story. We're glad you're OK. The bike doesn't seem too bad considering what happened.
Best to you..hope you're back and running like it didn't happen soon.

Dont think so ,no blood at all to find, but he did loose some Hair ,I found on my bike, He was gone in a flash like he was never their, But Im sure he is a little soar this morning,and I just got a call to confirm my parts will be here wed and deliverd to my house

You have a Guardian Angel. Glad you are OK and sounds as if the bike did not end up to bad. It amazing how things can have a positive outlook no matter how bad the event maybe.
Thanks for the reminder.....
dbmg

agree with that,just went out to the garage to get a closer look at things and start the dismantle process , not to bad ,also noticed the tab for the brake cylinder got bent but thats also intergrated with the lower frame rail,her is a few pictures of the damage,iI just cant get over the fact that I had no fork damage or fender damage

Attachments

• Imported Photos 00452.jpg
    Imported Photos 00452.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Imported Photos 00453.jpg
    Imported Photos 00453.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Imported Photos 00454.jpg
    Imported Photos 00454.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 48
Consider yourself lucky that the bear didn't stick around to smack you upside the head for hitting him!

Glad to hear that you and the bike are both, for the most part, ok. I'm very happy that we don't have to worry a lot about bears in the road down here in Arkansas. The deer are bad enough. I wish you and your bike a fast recovery, and clear roads.

Consider yourself lucky that the bear didn't stick around to smack you upside the head for hitting him!

That's what I was thinking while reading the post. I might have left the bike there and just started running.
Really glad that you did not get hurt. And the bike sustained minimal damage.

Back