free website stats program voltager regulator cover | Harley Davidson Forums

voltager regulator cover

sprinklerfitter669

i got a question, may sound stupid, but i want to be sure.
i put a chrome cover on my regulator. it says to torque to 50 to 80 in pds,
since i do not have a torque wrench for inches, i just tightened it good.
my question is, should i put blue threadlock on the scerws? i does not say to, but since it is in the front part of the engine, and it only has to be torqued to 50 to 8o in pds, i am just worried about it coming loose. the threads on the srews came with some yellow coating on them. is this adequate?

Blue threadlocker is fine, but it would be nice now that you know you need it, to have a torque wrench or torque screwdriver for hand tightening low torque fasteners correctly than just "feel"...take a look at Harbor Freight or other discount tool providers as even a light duty item that is life time guaranteed is better than none at all to be sure. JMHO :s

Without a torque wench you may (I know I did) have a tendency to over tighten your fasteners. Can be just as bad as not tight enough.

couldn't you just convert Inch pounds to foot pounds and use your ft lb wrench?
that's only about 4-7 ftlbs of torque IF you have a wrench that accurately reads that low.

That yellow stuff on the fasteners is a locking compound. If you remove the cover for any reason, use some blue when you redo!

But I agree with the above. Get some torque wrenches. Not so important in this case, but when you are doing stuff on the engine and tranny it matters.

TQ

My buddy found that O'reilly's Auto Parts stores carries torque wrenches for about the same price as Harbor Freight, if that's easier to get to for ya.

Back