free website stats program Voltage Regulator Failure | Harley Davidson Forums

Voltage Regulator Failure

Nuke99

While riding my new Ultra Limited Saturday, I received a low voltage light and check engine light. Voltage read 12. I have 500 miles on the new machine. About 15 minutes later, the voltage popped back to 14 and the warning lights went out. This cycle occurred several more times before I reached home. Fortunately I was able to make it home. Research indicates that this is a voltage regulator failure that is a weakness on 2012 touring bikes assembled between 10/2011 and 2/2012. Mine was assembled 12/2011. My dealership is going to pick up the bike for repair and I was told the service manager told the parts manager to order all of the voltage regulators she could get. That tells me there is a bigger problem than an infant mortality failure. Do any of you have any experience with voltage regulator failures on new touring models or any insights to this problem? :(

While riding my new Ultra Limited Saturday, I received a low voltage light and check engine light. Voltage read 12. I have 500 miles on the new machine. About 15 minutes later, the voltage popped back to 14 and the warning lights went out. This cycle occurred several more times before I reached home. Fortunately I was able to make it home. Research indicates that this is a voltage regulator failure that is a weakness on 2012 touring bikes assembled between 10/2011 and 2/2012. Mine was assembled 12/2011. My dealership is going to pick up the bike for repair and I was told the service manager told the parts manager to order all of the voltage regulators she could get. That tells me there is a bigger problem than an infant mortality failure. Do any of you have any experience with voltage regulator failures on new touring models or any insights to this problem? :(

92 and 97 Evos failed early, I would have them check the stator and load test the battery also:s

My experience with solid state regulators has been that when they fail they fail, don't work intermittently, as Jack said you should have the battery and stator tested.
The regulator on my '06 just went last month, low battery voltage was the cause.

It was the voltage regulator. They said there was a string of defective regulators that they were required to turn in. They received and installed a new regulator on Thursday and I picked it up Friday. All seems well for now. No other issues found.

I have a 2012 FLHTC that threw a P0562 code with less than 2500 miles.
Gauge read approximately 11.8 volts, three miles down the road the voltmeter went to full charge. I made an appointment for later in the week and continued to ride. The code came up two more times with the last time being 1 block from dealership while on the way to appointment. I left the bike running and pulled in the shop and they checked for codes. The bike was not charging at idle or even when running at 3000 rpms. Shut the bike down restarted and the voltmeter went to full charge but with a slower sweep of the needle than usual.
I picked the bike up the following day with a new voltage regulator installed. The new part was packaged on 4-2-12. I hope this is a different batch. I could not get a date from the original as the painted numbers were smudged. The dealer (whom I trust) said they had not replaced any regulators on any 12's. If region makes any difference I live in Richmond Indiana.

Wise, glad you made it to the dealership and got yours fixed. The April date sounds in line with what I have learned. The bad dates were somewhere from October 2011 to February 2012. I spoke to my dealership's warranty person and she said they had replaced about 30 regulators, all on 2012 touring models. I told them my regulator would show good when they got it in the shop. With the history of failures and symptoms, they just replaced it, no questions asked. The first one they had required several hours of troubleshooting with no cause discovered until they contacted HD and found out about the defective units.

It's good to hear you dealer is doing the right thing. My 94 had a premature regulator failure that was something like yours. Good voltage, bad voltage, good, then toast. The bike was 2 years out of warranty. The fix cost was small. I tested the stator and battery. No issues there.

Hopefully they give the charging system a good once over.

i had the ssme problem with my 07 road king,the dealer replaced the regulator and my 5 year old battery and about 200 miles later i got a warning light and by the time i got home again dead battery. the first time my bke died the dealer said my regulator was charging at 13 hence the replacement why after a couple of 100 miles the same thing happens? ps there have been no new added electrical components in 3 years.

i had the ssme problem with my 07 road king,the dealer replaced the regulator and my 5 year old battery and about 200 miles later i got a warning light and by the time i got home again dead battery. the first time my bke died the dealer said my regulator was charging at 13 hence the replacement why after a couple of 100 miles the same thing happens? ps there have been no new added electrical components in 3 years.

The combination of a bad battery and low regulator may have over worked the stator, have a smell inside your primary does it smell burned?

Back