free website stats program Voltage drop problem... | Harley Davidson Forums

Voltage drop problem...

Franzillo

Dear all,
let me introduce myself, my name is Francesco and I live in Italy.
I'm proud owner of ELECTRA 1340 98'(CARB VERSION).

I would like your help about very strange problem.

I replaced my battery, because it's old.
Now I plugged the new battery and without any reason my voltage dash instrument show 9-10Volts and I cannot start the engine because the tension drop.
Starting relè is working, lights are ok, all dash instruments are running.

If I check the new battery (by tester and electronic charger) everything it's ok.

Someone can suggest me something to check?

Thank You
Francesco

Thank you for your quick replies!

Let me expalin better this matter:

I turn on the key of ign switch and all dash is ready, the HD instrument voltage value is about 10Volts and I cannot start the engine, because when i push start botton the voltage value (with lights, dash, services ready) drop down until 7Volts.

I bought "2" new batteries, because I thought that problem was this one...(...unfortunately)

Both batteries makes same results and I think that there are working because if I connect them to other HD bike they running good.

I disconnected main plug on engine starter (12V big red cable from battery) and I turn on the key the Voltage instrument on dash show 10V, meanwhile the tester (multimeter instrument) direct connected on battery show me 12,4Volts....(obviously
engine is off ).

I believe that something in electric circuit absorbs energy (with engine off).

Maybe any relèis...

...amazing....

Hello Francesco from Italy,, Welcome to the forum.

It sure sounds like the Ground cable is not making good contact with the Frame of the bike. Either the cable itself or the end that attaches to the frame of the bike is not making good contact. If the cable goes to the body of the starter, check the bolts that attach the starter to the frame.

Sounds like something on ground side is bad. Use internal star washers at bolting points.

Thanks, I will re-check all ground plugs.

I will let you know asap.

Thank You

Regards
Francesco

Dear all,
no way....
I checked all ground plugs but everything it's ok...
If I by-passing the starter relay from battery to starter motor, last one run free without any problems and engine run by electric starter.
It means that the battery it's good, but something between battery and starter absorb more Volts than necessary.

I think the only way it's to disconnect step by step all services in electric circuit (relays, solenoids, regulator, ignition coil, instruments....).

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your co-operation... ;-)

Regards
Francesco

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have a wiring diagram for a 1998 Touring model but I do have one for a 1998 Softail. May be risky but here goes.

Locate the small cube starter relay (sorry can't help with that). It should have 4 wires going to it.
Solid Black,,,, Red w/ Black,,,,, Black w/ Red,,,,, Green

Do your color wires match the above colors..

If the headlight stays on , that will account for some of the draw, check your starter relay ....under the left side cover .... then your starter solenoid, both are cheep ....
the solenoid can be rebuilt , but a new one is under $20
the relay might set you back 15 U S dollars.....you can get one at any auto part store ,

Back