free website stats program Volt Meter Fluctuation | Harley Davidson Forums

Volt Meter Fluctuation

FrankB91

Hello everyone ! I am a newbee here at the Forum. I have a 1991 FLHTC my problem is that the volt meter gauge fluctuates from 10 volts to 12 volts when the signals are put on. Also sometimes the radio cuts off and the signal light indicator stays solid for a couple of seconds then indicator will blink and the radio will return to normal. It never seems to happen when driving at any speed but only when the bike is at idle, or with engine off. Any suggestions? Thanks in Advance.

Your charging system is being overloaded at tick over
if you raise the tick over speed slightly then it may help
the faster the engine turns the faster the charging system rotates and the more power it produces

Brian

+ how old is your battery, stationary voltage 12.7- 12.8 engine not running..Welcome...

Thank You for your help. When you say tick over speed do you mean raise the idle?

Battery is new, Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Using an external high quality meter, what is the voltage across the battery when the RPM is at 2,000. What is the voltage across the battery at Idle. What is your idle RPM.

Thank You for your help. When you say tick over speed do you mean raise the idle?

Yes raise the idle
some words just loose meaning as they cross the atlantic on this side of the pond idle is usually called tick over

Brian

In Hobbits' case, that would be an affirmative...:newsmile075: just yelling a little louder to get the post to 'cross the pond...:D

Back