free website stats program viscosity problem?? | Harley Davidson Forums

viscosity problem??

gunnut

Hi,Me and some of myclub have just returned from a holiday in Spain,where it was hot!hot!hot!(compared to her anyways)and one of us,firing a new 110 glide,has taken his bike back to the dealer complaining about it running a little rough.The dealewr said he thinks its because the oil got too hot,and started breaking down,so the viscosity was ruined(become much thiner)and thats for why .What say you guys???I personally,tho I dont profess to knowing much at all in the mechanical way of things,think its a bit of a fairy story.

If it was mineral oil that was in the engine it could start to brake down once it gets above 250f not saying that it caused the other problems but there is a possibility it could happen
it was 38c when i was on the continent a few weeks back and it rarely goes above 18c this far north so it was far too hot for me

Brian

I just think it to be a Over Heat Problem... Too hot is Just TOO Hot!

A full synthetic oil Should allow a little cooler oil temperatures and by far a lot less shearing-breakdown of the oil...

If Mineral oil, It can breakdown faster and Might be PART of the overheat problem which WILL cause it to run BAD!

I like Gliders statement to change out the oil and Proof is there....

Those BIG engines require Moving air and cool temps to run right or they can and will Over-heat... With or With Out a good synthetic oil and cooler!

signed.....BUBBIE

Hi,Me and some of myclub have just returned from a holiday in Spain,where it was hot!hot!hot!(compared to her anyways)and one of us,firing a new 110 glide,has taken his bike back to the dealer complaining about it running a little rough.The dealewr said he thinks its because the oil got too hot,and started breaking down,so the viscosity was ruined(become much thiner)and thats for why .What say you guys???I personally,tho I dont profess to knowing much at all in the mechanical way of things,think its a bit of a fairy story.

If it's running rough because of viscosity breakdown, then what damage has been done to the engine?? If he's running HD syn3 then that doesn't speak well for that oil.
I suppose it's possible since now there would be more friction loses since the oil was no longer able to do what it was suppose to do.

I'd lean more to bad gas or plugs, but I'm no mechanic.

just returned from a holiday in Spain,where it was hot!hot!hot!

Hot Hot Hot as in What What What temperature. Were the bikes moving or were you stuck in stand still traffic for 30 minutes. Was his engine going into "Heat Management Mode"? That would make it rock. Need more details but I agree with Glider.

oil can do a lot of things, that said I dont buy it either, unless something internal got burned up like a valve or a piston, I dont see it JMO

Is it fair to say, the bigger the engine the thinner the cylinder walls, the higher the heat factor. The power is nice though. Like glider said change the oil and see what happens.

Back