free website stats program vibration 08 street bob | Harley Davidson Forums

vibration 08 street bob

I had a bad vibration thru all gears a while back. Changed both tires and it helped a little but I still feel a vibration in the bars especially at 65mph. I usually start to feel it at 50mph and it smoothes out at 70mph. I'm thinking maybe motor mounts, tune, or an issue with the front wheel (spokes). Any ideas?

I the front wheel (spokes).

Because your wheel is laced, I would start out checking rim run-out in both planes. Jack the bike off the floor and using a fixed pointer check the run-out in both planes. It doesn't take much to feel it in the bars. Balancing with weights cannot correct for excessive run-out. Once run-out is corrected you must re-balance the assembly.

I had a bad vibration thru all gears a while back. Changed both tires and it helped a little but I still feel a vibration in the bars especially at 65mph. I usually start to feel it at 50mph and it smoothes out at 70mph. I'm thinking maybe motor mounts, tune, or an issue with the front wheel (spokes). Any ideas?

just got my fxdwg back from the dealer a couple weeks ago for shudder/vibration in front end. They found a couple wheel spokes loose. Have not had any issues since then.

Go around tapping your spokes with the end of medium sized wrench. You don't want an clinks that sound too loose. It should be more of thung sound and they all should be somewhat similar. If not adjust the clinks to the thungs.

Have you done the front motor mount shave ? Or the front motor mount shim ? Some have better results with those. I did the shim and it helped the vibration in the foot pegs but did not help the bars. The shave is removing enough rubber from the top of the mount so it does not have any friction with the metal. Shimming is using washers to take out the preloaded stretch. Make sure you have long enough bolts if you go doing that.

The bars on my Street Bob were always rough. Would make my hands go numb after an hour or so. Just the way they are. One of the reasons I traded it for a bagger. If by chance you've put the heavy duty riser bushings in they make the bar vibration a lot worse. The bike will handle better with them but the vibration goes rampant. The OEM soft bushings are less vibration.

It's the nature of the Street Bob. It's a kick to ride around town, and stoppin at red lights while the engine jumpin around in the rubber stretched mounts like a stallion ready to break out of the stall. But it ain't much for comfort on long rides.

Vibration can transfer from any where on your bike. After you have done what Hoople and RWB have already posted you may think about crank run out and a loose comp sprocket as well

Thanks fellas, will consider all and hopefully I'll be back soon with an update. Another thing... noticed it doesn't vibrate in 5th at 65mph only in 6th.

Back